Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gluing Steel To Steel

riceone

I don't remember if it was on this forum or some place else but someone was using and epoxy or similar to glue sight bases on a rifle rather that drill and tap. I have somethinmg need to attach that only glue can be used. The area is about 3 inches long and 5/8" wide in the form of a saddle. Anyone have a suggestion? riceone

I have heard of people using JB Weld. I am considering using it to cold weld a flash hider in pace.

Is silver solder the same stuff you use to sweat pipe for a washer? Can you get easily at the hardwre store?

I am restoring a 4x WW11 Japanese sniper scope. Someone cut the locking mechanism off and I have made a replacement. I would be afraid to add any heat to the 60 plus year old scope. Someone else told me J B Weld. If it comes off I can try something else. riceone.

post-15-125609089125_thumb.jpg

Rice,

JB Weld will probably work in a pinch, I would try something like Loctite first. If you cannot find Blackmax, use Acra-gel. That stuff is ridiculously strong. I've used it to glue all sorts of stuff together.

Still, I've seen people like Duane Wiebe make reference to using Loctite to install sight bases. I'd start there.

I decided to use JB Weld (since I had some on hand) and put it together yesterday. Here is the finished product. I doubt it will ever be on a rifle when fired - too much danger of shacking something loose inside. Thanks to all who offered help.

post-15-125634391753_thumb.jpg

post-15-125634394725_thumb.jpg

I would have disassembled the scope since it isn't sealed anyway and soldered the body to the mount. If it's just for display then it may be fine as-is, but I doubt it will stand up to much firing.