Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Alternative To A Mill And A Lathe

JoshF

I dont have a mill or a lathe and it is unlikely I will be able to afford either one or find a place to put them. SO I was looking for an alternative to truing up the receiver faces and the inner ring on my mauser projects. Does this stuff seem like a viable option?

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308_49&products_id=1299

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308_49&products_id=1236

I love to see a guy do as much of his own work as he can, and I like and use PTG tooling, but....

If you don't have a lathe, you really should not be considering doing barreling yourself. The gunsmith will true the action up, determine whether the lug seats are usable or need work, and recut the receiver threads as necessary. That is all work that I include in the price of a rebarrel.

For what it's worth, the first cutter recuts the bolt lug surfaces -- not the receiver face.

Bill Jacobs

I agree with bill. If you can't cut a barrel tenon then why true the face? A true face is a moot point without proper tenon sizing in my opinion. Most receivers are true enough to use prethreaded barrels. If it is out of spec or you what to true for extreme accuracy then send the job out.

Don

Thanks for the input guys. I was just really trying to do this all myself. But if the quality of the job will be sacrificed Ill get some help. I have a buddy with a lathe that loves tinkering with guns. Ill enlist his help when the time comes.

Josh it all depends on the action and what you are trying to accomplish. I assume you were planning on using a prethreaded barrel? Measure the action, are the existing rings true to each other? If so you will find that they are more than likely true to the bore already. If so you should be able to get reasonable accuracy just fitting to the one shoulder.