Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.308 Sporter Yugo Bolt Hard To Close

skardos

This is my first post, so please forgive me if I seem to ramble.

I have a sporterized Yugo with a Parker Hale .308 Target barrel that shoots great but the bolt is a bugger to close. After the shot it extracts fine and has no other problems. I remember reading somewhere, it may have been in this forum, that the extractor may have to modified (ground down) to have the bolt close without great force. Does anyone have the instructions or pictures on how to do this?

Also does anyone have any pictures or instructions for a mag well spacer and floor plate with spring modification for better fitting the .308 into a Yugo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

If the bolt is hard to close, but opens easily after firing, I do not believe it is an extractor issue. To me, it sounds like a chamber issue. Chamber is tight, ie. minimum size......or, the the neck is too tight. The bores on those barrels are tighter than standard, so the neck/throat may be a bit undersized.

When the round is fired, the case is forced to conform to the chamber dimensions, which is why it is easier to open once fired. Having a tight neck can cause higher pressures too.

I had some similar issues, until I reamed the chamber, and now it feeds much better.

If you can close the bolt on an empty chamber you probably don't have a problem with the extractor claw hitting the chamber.

If you do have a problem, the better option is cut a relief for the extractor in the barrel. Z1R posted directions on how to do that a while back, but it boils down to marking the area you need to cut, removing the barrel, making the cut, and reinstalling the barrel.

Jimro

Mausers are meant to be fed from the magazine only, if you are just dropping the round in the action there is your problem. The extractor isn't designed to pop over the rim, it's meant to have the rim slide up from beneath. If it won't feed from the mag then you could have a few different problems like the extractor, feed rails, or chamber.

-Don

Steve, welcome to the group!! Could it be the ammo?? Improperly sized reloads maybe?? Have you tried it with different brands or types of mil-surp ammo??

About 15 years ago I had some mil-surp Spanish 7.62 that was difficult to drop the bolt on a Remington 700 and was near impossible to use in my Savage 99. Friend of mine though shot a bunch of it in his M-1A and a M-1 converted to 7.62 without any trouble.