Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Poor Mosin Nagant

MajorPayne

One of the nice things about this board is that we have such a diverse group. This gives

us all access to the creativity of others.

Oh, and welcome.

Since I have retired, I have less time to myself than before, so I don't

get by as often as I would like. Too many trips to Alabama.

Mike

Ain't it fun to hack up a Mousin Nagant? I built a "snipper" rifle earlier this year that was a lot of fun to build and fun to shoot.

Must be wonderful having a welder and knowing how to use it. I had to use silver solder to turn the handle down on my bolt. Here is a link to my project.... http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t...ghlight=snipper

My project as stated in the text was a 'spoof' on the multi thousand dollar "sniper" rifles being sold with multi thousand dollar optics. It turned out that the rifle shot well but not spectacular, got lots of attention and many turned up noses too.

The project was fun and now the rifle is for sale.

• 1 month later...

I finally went to shoot the rifle today, only with iron sights though. But it did shoot very well. At 100 yds (and a vicious glare in my eyes, sorry, I shouldnt be making excuses :P ) I shot approx 6" groups. And since I was planning on going this Tuesday to see if I could track down a big buck, I might bring this along.

The recoil feels to be about 25% of what it was when it was in original form (thank you limbsaver) and with the versa-pod and pistol grip stock it is incredibly stable and just feels amazing to me.

Not that it matters, but I'd love to get it to a range and have some others shoot it and see what kind of feedback I get.

Six inch groups.

Assuming that the ammo is good and all the screws are tight( don't ask about how I know about tight screws : ) )

You may need to beef up the stock , the recoil is being transmitted in the pistol grip or if you are just going use it as a target rifle, re-load with 13 grains of Red Dot, set the sights for about 500 meters to get on the paper at 100 meters and you are good to go.

That sir, is a very well done bolt.

Good shooting

Karl

• 3 weeks later...
thats not my rifle, i found that picture when looking for ideas to build a modern style mosin nagant.

mine is still a pile of parts. all i have done is moved the bolt handle to the rear & closed the gap in the rear bridge. i have a finned madsen lmg barrel in 7mm thats going to be threaded & chambered in 7mmx54r for it.

i have a mauser project with the same type of barrel, its still very rough right now but once i finish shapping the stock it should start to look alot less bubbafied.

dirty jim, question where did you get the 7mm lmg barrel and what shape is the bore. Have an 1895 chilean mauser action, plus the origional stock. and all of the bands, pins. Was thinking of turning it into a short rifle for shooting cast bullets. Regards Frank