Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tapco Sks 20 Round Magazine

FC

http://whatacountry.com/tapcosks20-roundmagazine.aspx

Manufacturers must take responsibility for details. I have a Yugo SKS. It fed poorly until I used a Dremel to thin the underside of the left lip of the clip. It did not allow the round to be high enough to feed. I had to shave off fatness of the wood on the insertion area with a chisel. There are no instructions. You must remove all of the old magazine components. I used a Dremel to grind the pin head, then cut off the old magazine. The bolt must be open to insert the magazine. It seems to work fine now.

post-1-131445453509_thumb.jpg

post-1-131445454453_thumb.jpg

I put one of the Tapco stocks on an SKS and an aftermarket steel magazine. It didn't fit very well and would not feed. I put in a Tapco mag and it fit and fed perfectly. It could be that it wasn't designed for use in a wood stock. I don't know, but the ones I have have worked fine.

"...Our SKS mags were designed after the Yugo SKS rifle. However, if you are using your original wood stock, then you do have to remove some material from the inside of the magwell on the original stock. This is due because the original stock system has a metal magazine. Our replacement mags are composite and are thicker than metal magazines. The original wood squeezes the thicker composite mags causing feed issues. If we made the material as thin as metal mags, they would crack and break. You do have to open the bolt when inserting and removing the magazine and our packaging states that. If you do not do this, you could crack the feed lips. We do not include instructions with the mags because they are a direct replacement. All you have to do is hold the bolt open. However, we do have instructions on our website should anyone need them. The only SKS rifle that our magazine has problems with is the Russian SKS. Which we document on our website and our dealers document on their websites. If you have any further problems with your magazine, please let us know and we can swap it out for you."

Really odd that they don't put instructions with the clip.

• 3 weeks later...

The Promag 40 round magazine, "SKS A3" works much better, so far.

Tapco stock and a Promag 40 round magazine on my SKS. Took a couple hours to get the stock fitted. Menacing looking, huh? It's a Yugoslavian SKS I bought for $193, delivered several years ago. They're twice that now.

post-1-131631204918_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I haven't been around in quite a while.

That looks great, FC. I've been thinking about doing the same for quite a while now.

My brother and I bought a pair several years ago as well from AIM. He bought a $99 very good condition and I bought a $119 excellent condition. I swear mine looks like it had never been fired - stock even looks brand new without a ding in it. The only reason I haven't put it in a Tapco stock is because it is so nice. I always figured I would just buy another one and customize it, but then the prices started going up. I didn't want to buy one for $150 when my first was only $119, then it went to $199, then $249 and now $249. I've seen them for sale on Armslist and Gunbroker for well over $300 recently (just checked and a couple on GB asking over $400). Century has them right now in good condition for $299.99 and good condition with cracked stock for $279.99. With the prices they are going for I've thought hard about selling mine and gaining a nice profit, but then I wouldn't have one and it would cost me the same to replace it. I really should have bought a couple at the time! Currently I'm thinking that when they get to be the price of an AK then I'll trade it straight up for one.

I guess I should just go ahead and do the Tapco stock and larger mag. It requires no alterations, right? So I could keep the original stock to put it back to original later if I wanted?