Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Floorplate Release Buttons

odies dad

I decided to do a tutorial on how to make floorplate release buttons.

315866119.jpg

Start with a soft ¼” bolt with about ½” of unthreaded shank.

315866115.jpg

Cut off the hex head. This is easy on a lathe but can be done with a file in a drill press.

315866117.jpg

This is what you end up with.

315866114.jpg

You can cut grooves for better traction or leave it plain. This part is pretty tough on a drill press but easy on a lathe. You could cut checkering or whatever you would like.

315865916.jpg

Cut it off a little more than ½” from the head of the bolt.

315865920.jpg

315865909.jpg

This is what you end up with.

315865913.jpg

315865910.jpg

The hard part is drilling a hole to insert a retainer pin. A split pin works the best, but a stiff wire about 1/16”-5/64” will work. Drill a hole that will hold the wire snugly about 1/16” from the end of the pin. Cut a slot in the floorplate catch as shown wide enough for the retainer pin to clear.

The end of the button should be about flush with the top of the catch when it is released. If it is too short it can rattle. If it is too tight it will not release the catch completely.

Dip the pin in some cold bluing solution after you get it made.

Good stuff, thanks! I like that. I have bought a few of the longer release buttons that replace the military piece and remain in the trigger guard housing, but it appears that one uses the standard military recessed release button. I might have to try that now.

Good stuff, thanks! I like that. I have bought a few of the longer release buttons that replace the military piece and remain in the trigger guard housing, but it appears that one uses the standard military recessed release button. I might have to try that now.

Good show Dave. Those look good. Montea6b you can also make those little FN type yourself too, but I think these ones Dave does that are just like the b-squares look nicer. They'd look really good with a hand checkered face.

-Don

First chance I get to piddle,I'm going to make a couple releases.Thanks for the lesson Odies.We need more stuff like that.Jerry

I made one today with a dremel and a file. Rounded the head off, cut to length and then instead of drilling a hole for a retaining pin, i just cut a grove in the bolt shank. Works pretty spiffy. But this one was just a try out, its not exactly how i want it to be. Needs to be a little longer with the retaining pin cut just a touch closer to the head of the bolt. Also shaped up my trigger guard and cleaned it up a bit. I will soon have a reciever to do my 338-06 project off of ;):D .....i'm one happy kiddo.

Brenden

edit:

i see you did yours diffrently now..lol....i made mine complete....took out the old release and added a new one.....this is why i need to make it longer..if i don't...i'll never be able to get my floor plate off. :lol: i'll try your method next..boy oh boy...the things i do...but if i make it longer..it shall work. Just have to trim the bolt dia. down a little and then presto...maybe it shall work. One would have to take the follower off the plate to get the shells out..i'll just stick to your idea OD.

I made one of each a little bit ago, made a complet release out of a bolt and also made a push botton for the floor plate. I'll go into full production this time next week.. ;)

Brenden

:blink:

OK don't laugh too hard.

I pulled a 1/4" bolt out of my pile of bolts and proceeded to make one of these

a couple of years ago.

Got the thing all done and functioning perfectly.

Went to blue it and the darn thing wouldn't take a blue.

Only then did I realize that the 1/4" bolt I grabbed was stainless steel.

:huh:

Tinker

A soft bolt is easier to work with. The one shown is longer than needed, but was available. It just needs enough unthreaded shank to get about 1/2". I suppose the threads wouldn't hurt anything, but would be harder to work with.

i used one with alot of threads...just ground them down with a grinder. Had too in order to make it slim enough to work as a complete release. I had a good laugh at myself when i did the complete release and didn't think about the bolt head hindering my floor plate, so tinker i've got one on ya.

Brenden