Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Custom Followers

donmarkey

Thanks, Don. I think most of us tend to forget how important that critter is. I go through them over and over finding one that fixes a mysterious feeding problem.

Knowing how to modify one is the secret to making things work.

Sorry about your divorce (I know what that beast is like), but glad to see you puttering again.

Brad

Did you make or buy the jig holding the follower?

Swamprat

Made it, I just put a follower in the mill vice with a piece of stock on top, then milled the stock flat. Perfect matching agle that way.

Don

Howdy sir!

How'd you figure out the geometry to get a correctly shaped follower for a magnum cartridge? Copy something else?

Howdy sir!

How'd you figure out the geometry to get a correctly shaped follower for a magnum cartridge? Copy something else?

No such thing as a correctly shaped magnum follower. Each magnum cartridge is different and each actions feed rails are different. You need to take careful measurement of a cartridge sitting in your reworked rails.

Don

No such thing as a correctly shaped magnum follower. Each magnum cartridge is different and each actions feed rails are different. You need to take careful measurement of a cartridge sitting in your reworked rails.

Don

I have my first magnum project in the works ( 338 Win ).

Would you consider a new thread as a tutorial on the subject of reworked rails and followers?

Also

Glad to see that you are back.

Tinker