Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Used Shaper

montea6b

OK guys, one more: Shaper on Craigslist

This just popped up on a search for lathes and mills.

In reading up on home built falling block actions on another forum I saw one poster state he could have cut the inside channels of the receiver if he had a shaper, so I take it they are capable of cutting inside square corners that an end mill wouldn't be able to do. Besides this, what does a shaper do, and how does it work? Looks a bit like a mill in the photo, but appears to have a stationary cutting tool in the head.

What can one do with such a machine, are they any substitute for a mill, and is this a good buy?

ADDENDUM: OK, I did a quick search and saw some video of them on action on You Tube. Interesting machine. Doesn't look like any kind of substitute for a mill, but could be very useful for some things.

Monte,

A shaper is a fairly specialized piece. They're kind of an automated file/chisel type contraption that's fairly precise and can cut nice squared off holes and surfaces. I believe they have also preceeded the mill. One application for a shaper would be cutting the lug ways into a receiver if the machine was big enough and you weren't in a terrible hurry.

...And that's about the scope of my knowledge. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Personally though, I think I would pass on it and wait for something a bit more useful such as a big lathe in good condition. Shapers are too specialized for me to need one.

OK guys, one more: Shaper on Craigslist

This just popped up on a search for lathes and mills.

In reading up on home built falling block actions on another forum I saw one poster state he could have cut the inside channels of the receiver if he had a shaper, so I take it they are capable of cutting inside square corners that an end mill wouldn't be able to do. Besides this, what does a shaper do, and how does it work? Looks a bit like a mill in the photo, but appears to have a stationary cutting tool in the head.

What can one do with such a machine, are they any substitute for a mill, and is this a good buy?

ADDENDUM: OK, I did a quick search and saw some video of them on action on You Tube. Interesting machine. Doesn't look like any kind of substitute for a mill, but could be very useful for some things.

I recognize the phone number.

That guy, Drew, just bought a shaper from me.

It took quite a while of looking to see that he was not just re selling mine at a loss.

He upgraded.

I had the shaper for 5 years and never used it.

post-40-1250224093_thumb.jpg

I recognize the phone number.

That guy, Drew, just bought a shaper from me.

It took quite a while of looking to see that he was not just re selling mine at a loss.

He upgraded.

I had the shaper for 5 years and never used it.

That's funny! Small world isn't it...

Yeah, it does look pretty specialized. The videos of it in action were intriguing, but I think it would be limited. I thought of the lug raceway use myself. I've often thought it would be fun to make an action from scratch. Bolt action or falling block. Love to build a 3/4 scale Sharps in 30-30. Maybe one day...

small world

There are millions of guys with guns around the world, but the ones near Seattle get on the internet more.