Military Firearm Restoration Corner

May Have To Build An Ar Type Rifle

karlunity

I have never liked the AR since my first m16 but guys the way the prices are dropping I may HAVE to build an AR just becouse.

If that happens what barrel twist? I tend to like a rifle that will reach out about 500 meters.

karl

1:8 is a good choice. 1:7 is good for the even heavier bullets, but may be somewhat questionable on regular 52 grain stuff. If you're not planning on shooting 70+ GR bullets at 1000 yards and single feeding them because they don't fit in a magazine, then in my opinion, 1:8 is what you want.

Thank you sir. 1:8 it shall be.

Another question?

I have heard of ARs taking 762/39 as I a fair amount of that and brass and reloading and tend to like the 7.62 round. What of an Ar in 7.6//39?

karl

I have no direct experience with that, but it is my understanding that you can get a 7.62x39 upper and a magazine and use the same lower. They were kinda popular for a while, but you don't hear too much about them anymore. This place: http://www.mapartsinc.com advertises in SGN (now _Firearms News_) and has 7.62x39 uppers for a bit over five bills. There are probably cheaper ones out there. I think I saw uppers for like $250 at the last Really Big Gun Show, including 300 BO, but I wasn't looking for 7.62x39. Different bolt, for one thing, and then the mags are different.

I suggest picking a theme. M4, designated marksman, M16A2, varminter, etc., and going for that. If you are going to go short, like 16", then "they say" to go with the "mid length" gas tube. The short gas tube over gasses it. Build a 223/556 rifle first. And the latest thing is the "223 Wylde" chamber, which is inbetween a 556 and a 223 dimensions (which is really, really small in difference) and "they say" is better for accuracy and will shoot anything without problems. My big varminter is in 223 Wylde. Otherwise, get the 556 chamber.

I think that going with a barrel shorter than 16 on a rifle and having to permanently mount a muzzle device on it to get it to 16 is just silly. Just get the 16 to start with. But, people like the look.

The AR is like Legos. You can put the whole thing together, including the barrel, with little more than a strap wrench and a hammer, but getting the special multi tool for a whopping $15 will save a lot of trouble.

Doc and Ken have both given you very good advice, I built several last year before the election afraid I might not have much longer to do it. Bought the majority of my parts from Palmetto state armory you might give them a look if you do decide to build rather than buy. I have an AR Stoner 7.62 x 39 upper I got from midway , it is far more accurate with cheap ammo than I expected but I haven't found a magazine yet that it will function with out of the box until I tweek the feed lips , once I get them functioning they are fine. That is AR stoner, C brand mags and one other who's name slips my mind all three companies had problems, from what I read that is pretty much to be expected for some reason. I started fooling with ARs back in the 90s and prefer a 1 in 9 twist as I rarely shoot anything heavier than 55 grain boolits and have found that Hornady 55gr v max and 55 gr fmj over Winchester 748 shoot to nearly the same point of aim in my rifles. But I don't use them out past about 300 yards. They are worse then popcorn once you start it's hard to stop. I prefer a 16 inch pencil barrel to pack but use 20 inch heavy barrels for prairie dogs

Doc and Ken have both given you very good advice, I built several last year before the election afraid I might not have much longer to do it. Bought the majority of my parts from Palmetto state armory you might give them a look if you do decide to build rather than buy. I have an AR Stoner 7.62 x 39 upper I got from midway , it is far more accurate with cheap ammo than I expected but I haven't found a magazine yet that it will function with out of the box until I tweek the feed lips , once I get them functioning they are fine. That is AR stoner, C brand mags and one other who's name slips my mind all three companies had problems, from what I read that is pretty much to be expected for some reason. I started fooling with ARs back in the 90s and prefer a 1 in 9 twist as I rarely shoot anything heavier than 55 grain boolits and have found that Hornady 55gr v max and 55 gr fmj over Winchester 748 shoot to nearly the same point of aim in my rifles. But I don't use them out past about 300 yards. They are worse then popcorn once you start it's hard to stop. I prefer a 16 inch pencil barrel to pack but use 20 inch heavy barrels for prairie dogs. Jim

I would shop around before you start building. Brand new Rugers can be had for less than $500

I agree and can vouch for the Ruger. However if you want to go paperless building a lower might be the best way. I also agree with Doc Hess on the 1/8 twist for all around general use. If you want to build it for long range, varmint hunting or a match rifle look at the options. With AR prices falling, uppers will likely follow the same path at least for the next four years.

You can't assemble one from parts for that price and even if you do, you'll still have to do the paperwork<br />The only way to avoid the paper trail is go with an 80% lower, or buy a used gun in a private sale, If<br />that's legal in your area.