Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Range Report

karlunity

I went to the shooting range yesterday.

It is an indoor range 25 meters. Pistol range

I chose it as it is 15 min. away and the out door one is a two hour round trip.

I know that outdoor shooting is better but that long drive???

I took:
RIA 1911 .45 with the new grips

Helwan 9mm

Heritage .22 revolver

Rom 22 rifle

RIA 1911.

The pistol was very very good. 50 rounds win white box 230 gr FMJ

50 rounds no problem with the pistol at all. most of them in or near the center of the NRA small bore target at 25 meters.The new grips were good in that the pistol did not turn in my hand but since they were slimmer it took a mag or two to adjust.

Helwan 9mm.

Not as good as the RIA in that the helwan had a stovepipe or a feeding issue almost every other mag and I was using Blazer brass 115 gr ball ammo. I did not have this much of this type of a problem with it in Cali, althrough it has long been a problem child in one way or that other.

I did some research on the net and it seems that the problem may be an aftermarket recoil spring I put in. I used to make handloads for my guns, the indoor range here does not allow handloads)

And I needed the stronger recoil spring to not lose the brass. According to the net, that stronger spring can return the slide to battery BEFORE the case has finished ejecting. I put the old spring back, it is a inch or so shorter, and will try that and report back.

Heritage .22

No problem, I use thunderbolt ammo, which, I know many people hate, but it works well in both the revolver and rifle. The little revolver shoots far better than I can holes almost touching at 20 meters

Rom .22.

I had to readjust the scope ..a 20 buck 3 by 9 from Walmart.

The scope does not like the lighting on the indoor range but once adjusted at 25 meters

It was putting the bullets through one big hole.

a good day but expensive about $64 for range and ammo. If i want to shoot a lot I gotta drive a lot that outdoor range allows reloads.

karl