Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ammunition Prices Still Obscene

AzRednek

Unless one is shooting the hot sellers, 223, 308, 9MM, 40 or 45ACP. Shooters are getting stung, even 38 Special is now 20+ per box of 50. I literally felt raped recently buying 41 Mag, 44 Special and 45 Colt online. I was pleasantly surprised finding 44 Special jacketed hp's for only 29.99 per box of 50. I passed on Remington 45AR for 55.95. I'll stick with using the PIA moon clips. A shooting bud recently shelled out about $55 for jacketed 44/40. Told me he walked away from gun show vendors selling 38 S&W (not special). The mild lead 41, 44 and 45 Colt Cowboy ammo is a bit cheaper but still ridiculous.

Before age takes any more of my eyesight and what's left of a semi steady hand. I really want to start shooting my revolvers again. I get to an indoor range about once a week during the hot months. Guess I'm getting bored with 9MM and 45 ACP but just can't afford to shoot the high priced stuff.

I'm still into my handloaded rifle ammo I loaded up before my wife bailed. Dam near out of 06 and internet chatter is saying to avoid the cheapie steel cased in a M-1. Supposed to be hard on M-1's operating rods. Guess I need to take a day or two get off my donkey and get my loading equipment out of boxes and back on the bench. First time in years I'm down to about 100 or less lbs of scrap lead and definitely need to start casting again.

I'm working on a potential trade for a Springfield M-1A. If the deal flies I'll have to start scrounging 308. A shooting bud is sitting on about 7,000 rds of Spanish Santa Barbera 7.62. He got it very cheap in the early 80's buying a lot of 15,000 rds to feed his M-60. He parted company with the 60 being unable to resist an offer for nearly $33,000 more than he had invested in it. He's got a bunch of sealed crates of 308 and I hope to get one or two cheap.

I've got my 300 Blackout rounds down to about 6 cents each, or about the same as 22LR. Not counting my time, of course. The 44MAG is a bit more as it uses a bunch more powder, but I would SWAG it at around 10 cents. Powder coating the bullets is the key. Works great. I detailed the procedure in my 300BO thread.

Powder and primers are the same price. The dollar halved.

Anyway, it's a lot more fun plugging away with the DE at 10 cents a pop in 44MAG than at $2 a pop with 50AE storebought. So much fun, I just bought an extra 44MAG magazine for it.

Doc, I got spammed today by Vizards ammo. They had two types of 50AE for 23 and change per box of 20. I've ordered ammo from them twice. They're fast and ship unlimited ammo for 14.95. Have to make sure though ammo comes from the same warehouse or pay additional 14.95. A neighbor had 50AE a few yea s ago and claimed ammo was costing him about 50 bucks per box of 20 when purchased locally with sales tax.

My doofus neighbor lost his Desert Eagle after moving to Illinois. He was working there with Arizona plates, got pulled over searched and the DE confiscated. According to his sister charges were dropped on the gun but not returned. I'm sure some cops, prosecutors or maybe even a judge picked straws to see who took it home.

I have a box or two of the 50AE. It is actually not that enjoyable to shoot. I have trouble holding onto the gun strong enough to get the action to work. Now, the 44 MAG, that one is "just right."

Yeah, your neighbor got robbed. That's what I call it when someone with a gun takes your stuff, under threat of killing you if you refuse.

I have a box or two of the 50AE. It is actually not that enjoyable to shoot. I have trouble holding onto the gun strong enough to get the action to work. Now, the 44 MAG, that one is "just right."

Yeah, your neighbor got robbed. That's what I call it when someone with a gun takes your stuff, under threat of killing you if you refuse.

I'm the same way with my S&W 460. Idea was to carry the mini cannon hunting with a cross draw shoulder holster instead of carrying a rifle while using a cane. Made two attempts, one at deer and another for Javalina. Never got a shot off. At the range by the third or fourth shot I'm done with it. Shooting 45 Colt in the heavy revolver is like shooting 22's. 454 Casull with a 350 gr slug is nearly as nasty as the Hornady 200 gr 460's.

A few weeks ago a shooting bud a long time 44 mag fan. Was bragging about his ability to handle any handgun's recoil. After a cylinder of 460's I handed him five 454's. He shot two 454's, put it down saying something about not wanting to shoot any more of my expensive ammo. He never admitted it to being to much but as I walked back into my shooting lane. I saw him shaking his hand vigorously in my peripheral vision. Originally he wanted to barrow it. His daughter bought a hunk of land in Montana bear country. They flew out Sunday and he never asked against to barrow it.

My neighbor with the 50 Desert Eagle I have a feeling there was more to it than what his sister told me. He was an asst mgr at a tire shop here in Phx and was supplying me with wheel weights. He was canned after failing a piss test. Sister told me he was carrying a lot of cash when Illinois cops stopped him. She never said how much but complained it all going to his Illinois lawyer. Illinois requires a permit to possess a gun and have some pretty chicken sh!t laws about transporting a firearm.

• 4 weeks later...

I missed that Miculek post. He must have enough strength in his hands to crush walnuts and bones made of spring steel.

The worse i ever shot was a Thompson Contender in 35 Remington. Coworker scored a deal on it at yard sale. After work we stopped at gun shop, bought a box of ammo and headed to the desert. Once was enough for me. My friend got nailed in the forehead from recoil his second and final shot.