Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Using A Drill Press As A Mill

724wd

ok, i know it's not exactly "good" to do, sideloading the chuck, but if a guy were doing, say 6 or 7 mausers (removing the charger hump) is a drill press ok for this? the press is a big old craftsman with a lot of grunt.

A drill press isn't equiped with bearings designed for sideways forces. that said, i did do a lot of "milling" making motor cycle parts with just a drill press.

personally, I'd d&t for a one piece base. I see alot of actions come through here that have had the bridge altered freehand. It shows!

If you do do it freehand, just go slow and realize it will take time. Patience grasshopper!

well mike, since it's really only one or two of these actions that i plan on 2 piece bases, perhaps I'll just have you do it when i send them to you to get their tubes screwed on! =)

• 3 weeks later...

Bearings notwithstanding, the chuck is held onto the quill by only the taper between the two. Side force can loosen the chuck on the spindle. At operating speed, the best you can hope for is gouges in the receiver that you are milling. Worse than that would be the shrapnel.

Clemson

Somewhere I ran across a pic of a simple looking "machine" built just to remove humps. It had a pair of centers and a sliding table with screw feed mounted near a bench grinder. If I were to make up one I would set it up to be used on my 1x42 sander. Maybe not the greatest but to me better than free handing.