Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got An Idea!

8uck5nort

This was inspired by the earlier post of an Enfield 44 mag bolt action and the fact that I have been looking for that exact type of firearm for some time.

Would it be possible to take a M95 Styer and conver it to a .357 or .44 remington mag bolt action with an appropriate re-barrel?

I will be the first to admit that I am a novice at best, so don't know if this will work, but there are a lot of cheap Styers out there and in pretty good shape, but with a very limited ammo supply. I was thinking if you could get a Styer to use a common rimmed pistol caliber it might make a good source of future projects. Especially if someone can come up with a kit or a kit style parts list, etc. If someone thinks it is possible and feasible I would love some help doing the conversion. I'm not sure who has or where you could get a 18-22 inch .357 or .44 mag barrel, but I am sure someone can make it and thread to a Styer action.

Let me know if this is just wishful thinking or am I onto something.

Here is the bullet specs for both

Parent case .44 Special

Bullet diameter 0.429 in (10.9 mm)

Neck diameter 0.457 in (11.6 mm)

Base diameter 0.457 in (11.6 mm)

Rim diameter 0.514 in (13.1 mm)

Rim thickness 0.06 in (1.5 mm)

Case length 1.285 in (32.6 mm)

Overall length 1.61 in (41 mm)

Rifling twist 1-38

Primer type Large pistol

or .357 Mag

Parent case .38 Special

Case type Rimmed, straight

Bullet diameter 0.357 in (9.1 mm)

Neck diameter 0.379 in (9.6 mm)

Base diameter 0.379 in (9.6 mm)

Rim diameter 0.44 in (11.2 mm)

Case length 1.29 in (33 mm)

Overall length 1.59 in (40 mm)

Primer type Small pistol, magnum

Compared to a Steyr 56R

Bullet Diameter .329

Case Neck Diameter .365

Case Shoulder Diamete .473

Case Base Diameter .491

Case Rim Diameter .554

Case Rim Thickness .060

Case Length 2.20

Overall Cartridge Length 3.02

Military Bullet Weight 206

Velocity 2300

Getting cartridges to feed would be a challenge.

Dealing with a newbie so bear with me. Where do you see the feed problems coming into play? Are the cartridges to far out spec to consider it possible or is it the clip style feed of the Styer the major stumbling block?

The first thing you should be concentrating on is rim diameter. If the new cartridge's rim isn't similar in size to the 8x56R you will have difficulties.

i"ve done the smle enfield in 45 acp,45-70 amd 44 mag....the mag is the biggest problem..i know some people have done 45-70 styer...but have not tried one myself looks like its next on the list..this type of smithing cost way to much to have done ..

. i have a lathe and the time ...i can help with the barrelling ..how much do you want to under take ?

i"ve done the smle enfield in 45 acp,45-70 amd 44 mag....the mag is the biggest problem..i know some people have done 45-70 styer...but have not tried one myself looks like its next on the list..this type of smithing cost way to much to have done ..

. i have a lathe and the time ...i can help with the barrelling ..how much do you want to under take ?

Appreciate all the feed back.

Sonic1 I sent a message with more info.

This was inspired by the earlier post of an Enfield 44 mag bolt action and the fact that I have been looking for that exact type of firearm for some time.

Would it be possible to take a M95 Styer and conver it to a .357 or .44 remington mag bolt action with an appropriate re-barrel?

I will be the first to admit that I am a novice at best, so don't know if this will work, but there are a lot of cheap Styers out there and in pretty good shape, but with a very limited ammo supply. I was thinking if you could get a Styer to use a common rimmed pistol caliber it might make a good source of future projects. Especially if someone can come up with a kit or a kit style parts list, etc. If someone thinks it is possible and feasible I would love some help doing the conversion. I'm not sure who has or where you could get a 18-22 inch .357 or .44 mag barrel, but I am sure someone can make it and thread to a Styer action.

Let me know if this is just wishful thinking or am I onto something.

Here is the bullet specs for both

Parent case .44 Special

Bullet diameter 0.429 in (10.9 mm)

Neck diameter 0.457 in (11.6 mm)

Base diameter 0.457 in (11.6 mm)

Rim diameter 0.514 in (13.1 mm)

Case length 1.285 in (32.6 mm)

Overall length 1.61 in (41 mm)

Rifling twist 1-38

Primer type Large pistol

or .357 Mag

Parent case .38 Special

Case type Rimmed, straight

Bullet diameter 0.357 in (9.1 mm)

Neck diameter 0.379 in (9.6 mm)

Base diameter 0.379 in (9.6 mm)

Rim diameter 0.44 in (11.2 mm)

Case length 1.29 in (33 mm)

Overall length 1.59 in (40 mm)

Primer type Small pistol, magnum

Compared to a Steyr 56R

Bullet Diameter .329

Case Neck Diameter .365

Case Shoulder Diamete .473

Case Base Diameter .491

Case Rim Diameter .554

Case Rim Thickness .060

Case Length 2.20

Overall Cartridge Length 3.02

Military Bullet Weight 206

Velocity 2300

Don't I feel silly, just got done going through the Straight Pull section of the forum and you guys were talking about converting the Styers along time ago. Oh well. <_<

8uck5nort, i'm still planning on the 30-40 conversion. i have a few of the clips and 100 pieces of new brass. i've got a ton of other projects i'm working on, not all gun related, so it's been slow going. the 30-40 and 7.62x54 seem to be the medicine for the steyrs.

It should be noted that brass and bullets are available from Graf & Sons.

Lee makes the dies.

I think the little carbines in 8X56R are pretty cool as is.

It should be noted that brass and bullets are available from Graf & Sons.

Lee makes the dies.

I think the little carbines in 8X56R are pretty cool as is.

Yeah,

I left mine as-is, the barrel was awesome. When you think about it, the 8x56R is about equal to that grand old classic, the .318 Westly Richards. Same bore diameter. I think it's an awesome brush gun.