Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Converting A 91/30 To .30/284 Winchester

indyeyedoc

WHat are your thoughts? Is this a common conversion as the guy in the video suggests? Do you think its safe from a pressure standpoint?

Well I don't think that it's common.

As to safe... I've heard that there has been some testing with the parent cartridge by over loading and they held together well.

Now there was some problem with some that were converted to 30-06 because the barrel got too thin out at the shoulder and a few barrels separated at the shoulder location. Take note of how the MN barrel tapers down quickly forward of the chamber. For 7.62X54 the shoulder is 1.55 from the base. The shoulder for 30-06 is 1.948" from the base.

I suggest we accept that 1.948 is the 'unsafe' reference. The shoulder for 284 is 1.7749 from the base.

The 284 diameter at the shoulder is .4748". The previously stated as safe (another discussion) wall thickness is .25".

What you need to do is figure out on the barrel where 1.7749" falls from the bolt face. Take the Outer Diameter of the

barrel at that point. Subtract .4748 then divide by 2 for X. If X is greater than .25" it is likely OK.

If X is less than .25 perhaps you should consider something else. 300 Winchester SHORT magnum, perhaps.

Do the math with what ever you consider then decide.

As the previously mentioned testing might suggest, why not just load the 7.62X54 until you get the desired results?

It's not too uncommon that one might load a std cartridge to near magnum velocities.

Hopefully someone with some actual experience in this area will weigh in.

EDIT!!!

When I said " I suggest we accept that 1.948 is the 'unsafe' reference." I hadn't

counted in what I remembered later in that due to the larger base of the 7.62X54R the

barrel would have been set back about .92". Therefore I think we need to add the two

figures to get 2.868 as the unsafe reference for a barrel that hasn't been set back.

Tinker