Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Type 38 Sporter

Clemson

For the two-year program at Piedmont Technical College, figure tuition at ~$6800; Books at ~600; Tools and Supplies (actions, project guns, barrels, etc. @ ~$1500. Could vary greatly depending on projects, additional courses, etc. South Carolina residents get a break from lottery funding which covers about half the tuition.

Clemson

In using the take off barrel on another Japanese action, sometimes they will tighten up to the match markes "if" the barrel is from the same series as the new receiver. If it won't tighten to the match mark, (or correct position), the shoulder of the barrel can be skimmed. If it turns too far a shim can be added. The shims used by John Deere on thier cotton picker spindle are the exact size needed, inside and outside diameter and they come in .005" thickness. Since the headspace on Japanese rifles are so loose the above will work. However I never use more than two shims. If you are rechambering to say 6.5x57 you can correct the headspace while reaming the chamber.

• 1 month later...

I finally got the stock in from Richards Microfit the end of January. It was ordered in Early October. I am debating whether to use the tang extension on the trigger guard or remove it. It would look cool, but the stock is really not made to use it. I'll try to make a few photos next week.

Clemson

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any up-dates

Well, I do owe the group an update. It isn't always pretty what happens in gunsmithing!

When I test fired the .250 Savage barrel, I noted striations on the case. What I had thought was dirt in the chamber was actually chatter marks. I had never had a reamer chatter on me, and I did not feel this one chattering during the barreling process. You can see those striations in the chamber in the photos above, I just didn't look until I test fired the piece.

It took me about 2 months to get the reamer reground by the manufacturer. It was a brand new reamer, and they reground it for free, but.....

I had hoped to recut the chamber one thread deeper, and the Japanese action is 14 threads per inch, so that was pretty simple. Unfortunately the chatter did not clean up. Time for plan B. I ran a 257 Roberts reamer in to clean up the chamber. That worked, and the Type 38 action works fine for the 257 Roberts. Also, it is much easier to find ammunition for the Roberts than the .250 Savage. Unfortunately, I had to cut so deep to clean up the chamber, that in the end, I had to scrap the breeching and recut the threads altogether. Now I have to redo that setup for cutting the extractor and bolt nose grooves. I don't know when I will get around to it, but I need to do it so that I can get this gun finished and recover my investment!

So the trials and tribulations of an off-the-wall class project continue! Amazingly enough, I am on tap to teach barrel fitting at the Gunsmithing School again beginning in August. I think I will use more conventional actions for the class this time around. I do have a Sako L461 action that needs a new, Stainless Steel barrel in .223. Hmmmmm

Clemson :)

Clemson, I think sometimes those things just happen. I had the same thing happen to me with a brand new Manson reamer. I sent it back and they polished on it some but it still done the same thing, I tried several different barrels and several different techniques and different feeds and speeds and nothing I did would make that reamer not chatter. I even tried wrapping it with different materials like you sometimes hear and still a no go. I finally gave up on the reamer. I guess the stars weren't aligned when that reamer was made. I've used dozens of other reamers and never had that happen before or since. BTW it was a 7.62x39 reamer.

Roger

• 6 months later...

Well, it is time for an update. I finally got around to recutting the breech. Not much to see, really, but the barreled action is now a 257 Roberts. Photos below show the action with barrel fitted and the Richards Microfit stock that I have for it. I am on no time table at all for finishing this project, but I do hope to get the chamber finish-reamed today. That will allow me to test fire and check the new chamber. I cut it close, but the bolt won't quite close on a Go gauge yet.

JapType38257002.jpg

JapType38257004.jpg

JapType38257003.jpg

More to come sometime!

Clemson ^_^

Well, I got the chamber finished yesterday and also got the barrel cut and crowned to its final 20" length. Here are some photos of that process.

This is the reamer and extension that allows me to cut the chamber with the barrel attached to the receiver.

JapType38257005.jpg

Bolt won't close on a Go gauge:JapType38257006.jpg

Bolt closes after 7 turns of the reamer!:JapType38257009.jpg

Bolt won't close on a N0-Go gauge. Chamber is now finished:JapType38257010.jpg

Barrel must now be removed for crowning and polishing. This shows my Brownells action wrench with Remington heads on it. The Lower head has been modified with a notch cut to accomodate the lower lug on the Japanese Type 38 action.JapType38257011.jpg

Barrel is now mounted in the barrel vise using homemade tapered blocks. Action is turned off the barrel.JapType38257013.jpg

Clemson

Crowning requires that the barrel be mounted on the lathe. I don't have the correct 5C collet to hold the shank of this barrel, so I put a 5C 3-jaw chuck in the headstock and mounted the barrel in that. When coupled with the steady rest shown here, total runnout is less than 0.001" at the muzzle.JapType38257014.jpg

I use a parting tool to cut the barrel off.JapType38257015.jpg

Nice, clean cut:JapType38257019.jpg

The recessed crown is cut with a miniature boring bar:JapType38257023.jpg

Finished recessed crown. I cut the outside chamfer with a hand-held file.JapType38257026.jpg

Clemson