Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M95/30 Mannlicher

bert01

I've not done anything with one, but I would think the magazine would limit options as it requires an en-bloc clip specific to the 8x56R cartridge. It would seem you could mount a scope easily since it is a straight pull-back design and has base mounting points fore and aft. If I were to re-model one, I think I would acquire one with a good bore and leave it in the original chambering. Then I would alter the stock to trimmer lines with a shortened fore end. Surplus ammo is still available and Buffalo Arms has brass. I believe proper .329 bullets are available as are bullet moulds.

I've not done anything with one, but I would think the magazine would limit options as it requires an en-bloc clip specific to the 8x56R cartridge. It would seem you could mount a scope easily since it is a straight pull-back design and has base mounting points fore and aft. If I were to re-model one, I think I would acquire one with a good bore and leave it in the original chambering. Then I would alter the stock to trimmer lines with a shortened fore end. Surplus ammo is still available and Buffalo Arms has brass. I believe proper .329 bullets are available as are bullet moulds.

Mine remains an 8x56r. Think of it as a rimmed .338 federal. Grafs sells brass, as does, hornady, and both sell the proper .330 bullets.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the rifle version in original 8x50R, using .323 bullets. Someone cut off the bolt handle and rewelded it onto the left side making it a lefty. I bought an original round at a gunshow and proceeded to make about 5 cases using some weird brass, parts of different 8x57JS dies, and Berdan primers . Fireformed the brass then made extrapolated service loadings.

Swaped it as there were few options for stocking and sights, later swaped it back just because it was so well made. Using Baker's book I added a pistol grip, filled the finger grooves, slimmed down the bulky military stock, and checkered it. Got a good swap offer on a M98, so, off it went again as the Mausers are better, safer, simpler, more reliable, and ammo components in good supply.

The 8x56 carbine is even more limited, I believe being married is easier to live with then one of these carbines. Bill

PS Baker's book, The Amatuer Gunsmith, is the beginning gun nut bible. If you know someone who has a copy, shoot them and steal it. It will turn about two years of fiddling around into about 3 months of educated effort.

i was thinking that, because i wanted a 45-70, the rim sizes are very close, its already feeding a rimmed cartridge. hoping i could modify the original feeding system or put it in a new stock do away with the mannlicher feeding and use a scratch built blind box mag.