Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pistol Cartridge Calibers

8uck5nort

.357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

I have a short list of some, but I am looking specifically for a rimless case in the .357 to .40 caliber range. Anyone got any ideas of one that is not on the list.

.357 Magnum

.38-40 Winchester

.41 Magnum

.41 Special

.44 Magnum

.44 Special

.44-40 Winchester

.45 Colt

.454 Casull

.458 SOCOM

.480 Ruger

.475 Linebaugh

.50 Action Express

.500 S&W

I am dreaming up a new project for next year maybe for a small ring mauser or Carcano for another Indiana legal deer rifle for next season.

Well I dug through some of my reloading manuals and it appears there really isn't a rimless cartridge in the 357 to 40 caliber range.

I got my next summer/early fall project lined up... Or, ummm, planning on it anyway... I got to finish up the three I have before starting another one.

The .357 Automag. Exactly what you're descibing:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd357automag.jpg

The .44 Automag. Just a touch over .40 at .429:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd44automag.jpg

There was a M1 Carbine cartridge called the .375 x 38/40. It was a chopped 30/06 case to .30 carbine OAL I believe. Ackley has it listed in his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, Volume 2. I don't have any images of that. Should be a thumper.

I'm guessing you're looking for a pistol cartridge for a rifle based-on local regulations? Why does it need to be rimless?

The .357 Automag. Exactly what you're descibing:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd357automag.jpg

The .44 Automag. Just a touch over .40 at .429:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd44automag.jpg

There was a M1 Carbine cartridge called the .375 x 38/40. It was a chopped 30/06 case to .30 carbine OAL I believe. Ackley has it listed in his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, Volume 2. I don't have any images of that. Should be a thumper.

I'm guessing you're looking for a pistol cartridge for a rifle based-on local regulations? Why does it need to be rimless?

I suppose it does not have to be rimless. I was just trying to match up the potential bolt dimensions to the the cartridge dimensions as close as possible to avoid any major rework to the bolt. I don't have direct access to machining equipment.

I had pretty much decided on the .357 mag as the cartridge/caliber after doing my initial searching. I will research the .357 automag. That sounds interseting as well as the .375x38/40.

• 2 weeks later...

357 & 44 auto mags are both made from basic 7x57 head dim. of .473. 45 Win Mag is real close at .475 head dia. All 3 fall short of your lenght request though. Both auto mags are 1.298 and the 45 Win Mag is 1.198

All three would require no bolt face mods. Probably get away with just blocking magazine for short cases.

• 6 years later...

I have a 10" Contender in 357 Maximum and I think it's a great cartridge for hunting and target use. I normally load the 180gr Hornady Single shot Pistol bullet, but Hornady is not making it right now, so I'm trying some 180gr cast bullets with the HI-Tek plastic coating with IMR4227 to see if it's something to make me smile.

The 357 Maximum should be a potent rig in a small ring mauser if you can get it to feed right.

Perhaps the 445 Super Mag could be considered.

Spiris

post-237-0-71301800-1449445752_thumb.jpg post-237-0-15018800-1449445774_thumb.jpg