Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Where To Begin

clinton66

I recenlty bought one of the norwegian made 98k target barrels in .308 Win. from sportsmans guide and would like to build a sporter rifle out of it. Nothing fancy, and nothing expensive. What type of action would you recommend? Where is a good place to buy an inexpensive action to mate with this barrel. I plan on taking barrel and action to my gunsmith and have him rebarrel and true up action. Would like a bent bolt and am thinking of putting on an FN style bolt shroud and a Timney Trigger with safety to ease scope mounting. This is my first mauser, I have built a similar rifle out of an old 1903 springfield receiver I bought form the CMP and a heavy barrel I bought online. Turned out very nice. Am hoping to do the same with this.

Welcome !!

Since your barrel has the large ring thread pattern for a Mauser then

you are going to want to find a surplus Mauser to build off of.

You can go to a gun show to pick one up.

You might try a pawn shop.

Gun shops will often have a Mauser in need of work.

I might suggest that you get on Gun Broker for a few weeks

and follow several auctions to get an idea of the going rate.

I can tell you that I picked up a few earlier this year for well

under $200 to build on. Then again I saw some go for well over $300.

I'm assuming that you don't have an FFL 03 C&R license or you wouldn't

be asking. I recently got a flier from Century International that had some

Mausers. If you know any FFL 01 gun dealers, you might ask them to

order one for you from Century. If you already have a gunsmith chances

are that he could do that for you too. The transfer fee wouldn't be any

different than if you went through Gun Broker.

The only thing about Gun Broker Vs. Century is that from Gun Broker

it is possible to find one that has some to much of the work done already.

Some of the ones I bought had things like already drilled for a scope and

bent handles or newer stocks.

OK my fingers are getting tired.

Again Welcome, you've found the right place.

Tinker

tinkerfive, thanks for the response. I actually just got my C&R and have been looking at the inventory of most of the surplus importers, aim, sarco etc. but wanted to get some opinions before I made a purchase. Is there much of a difference between the various pattern manufactures, ie. K98 vs. M47 vs. VZ24? I know that the Yugo actions are a little shorter and the bolts won't swap with a k98 pattern. Not many of the importers carry actions or barreled receivers so I looked on gunbroker and found what I think looks to be a decent k98 action with everything except the safety for about $175 with a some work already done. Is this a fair price or are there more reasonable parts out there?

preference for me is

VZ24

after that 48 works just fine, as does 98, but keep in mind mid length actions have a fewer stocks availible; not much less but some

I have 308's built on most all types of Large rings all work great

by the way those barrels shoot very well

my wife and i tested one I built while home on leave with 168 Black hills it shot .6 with the first 5 shots fired in the barrel.....never got around to doing much else with it I needed to spend family time before coming back here to Iraq

it is built on a ATI lower half, action trued, lugs lapped, devcon steel bed

P1070798.jpg

fmsniper, thank you for your service to our country. Nice looking rifle. Did you have to inlet the barrel channel or can you find stocks off the shelf that have the same contour as that norwegian barrel? I have inletted solid wood stocks, but never inletted a synthetic stock. Can you use the same tools for both? Just hog out the barrel channel and then slather in your favorite bedding compound? I found a FN mauser action that I think looks pretty good. Do they have a decent rep. for quality?

Fn has a good reputation. Just be careful,there are diffrent makes from fn. some are Fabrica de National arms (sp?) Mexico, the old mausers (kinda soft and i've seen people try to pawn them off as FN made quality arms) Fn made Yugo's (good) . Belgium made ones like the old J.C higgins are sweet as well and shoot like you wouldn't believe with that chrome lined barrel (i have one:)

Brenden

Fabrica de National arms (sp?) Mexico are not FN mausers. They are Mexican made. The Model 24 mexican is Belgian (FN) made. Only 10,000 of the entire Yugo rifles were FN made. Many of these were refurbed into m24/47's. But as Brenden says, lots of unscrupulous sellers out there. Buyer beware.

Hi guys. I think you guys are missinhg a ave here. Call CIA and see if they have what is call an u-fix-em. They are cheaper. As for the action, I'll look for an Yugo M48 if you are planning on a 308 win.

I might have an action I can spare. Just let me get home and look.

Rob

The last half-dozen U-fixem M48's and 24/47's that I bought all had the bolts in them. Missing parts were some safeties, cocking pieces, cleaning rods, and a couple of cases of poor fits in the stocks. One came with a rusty (very) bolt shroud. I got a couple complete with slings and cleaning rods. Overall, they were worth the $50 each that I paid for them.

Clemson

The last half-dozen U-fixem M48's and 24/47's that I bought all had the bolts in them. Missing parts were some safeties, cocking pieces, cleaning rods, and a couple of cases of poor fits in the stocks. One came with a rusty (very) bolt shroud. I got a couple complete with slings and cleaning rods. Overall, they were worth the $50 each that I paid for them.

Clemson

I never get that luck, do you want to call in my next order for me?

-Don

clinton66, I have two receiver that I can spare,

one is an Turk 98 rework Mauser that has been work over. Action true, bolt handle turn down, D&T with two pcs mount, and trigger gaurd 2nd holes welded with aftermarket screws. Also the floor plates has no marking.

The other is an M48 Yugo. D&T with bases. trigger 2nd screw holes weld. This is the 1st action I file to remove the hump on the rear bridge.

I would need to ship to an FFL.

If you want an pics, message me. Offer an price on one if you want.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
I recenlty bought one of the norwegian made 98k target barrels in .308 Win. from sportsmans guide and would like to build a sporter rifle out of it. Nothing fancy, and nothing expensive. What type of action would you recommend? Where is a good place to buy an inexpensive action to mate with this barrel. I plan on taking barrel and action to my gunsmith and have him rebarrel and true up action. Would like a bent bolt and am thinking of putting on an FN style bolt shroud and a Timney Trigger with safety to ease scope mounting. This is my first mauser, I have built a similar rifle out of an old 1903 springfield receiver I bought form the CMP and a heavy barrel I bought online. Turned out very nice. Am hoping to do the same with this.

Check out " Samco". They have 24/47 barreld actions for $ 109.00 for sale.

Naturally, they also have complete rifles (excellent) for $159.00.

I would stay with a standard '98 Mauser action (Oberndorf,DWM,BRNO,STEYR-Gew98,M98,K98,Standard Model) for 3 simple reasons.

First, unless you can do machine work yourself, the cost of rebarreling is goin to be expensive, especially because the Yugos are made with safety breech which wasn't really necessary at the time it was incorporated. Also it will require a whole separate rebarreling step once the normal rebarreling is done. This is required because the rear face of the reinforce ring is slotted on the right hand side to allow the head of the extractor to fit. This requires carefully marking the newly installed barrel's breech face to match the slot cut into the reinforing ring. Then the barrel must be removed, and carefully slotted to correspond to that cut, then reinstalled. This can get real expensive.

Second, spare parts are dificult to find for Yugos, and consequently more expensive.

Third, aftermarket parts (stocks, triggers, safeties,ect.) are far more limited than for standard '98 actions.

The Yugo actions (if in good shape, not worn or rusted) are good actions but will require smoothing up to operate as well as standard '98s. Besides all major manufacturors produce .308 models on their standard length actions as it's cheaper to modify a magazine than a headspacing set-up. I bought a nice post-war M48 (original M24s and later rearsenaled 24/48s are difficult to find in decent shape) and have no intention of altering anything on mine.

I'd suggest getting a good 'M98 and letting Z put one of his beautiful bolt handle jobs on it for you. I believe you will be extremely pleased. Bill

You may want to give these guys a call to see what they are selling.

http://www.rguns.net/016_14.html

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/ind...products_id=325

The rguns are a complete action, the other does not have a trigger guard or small pieces. If you are going to use something else, you can save

20 bucks, other wise, you can't get the extras for 20 bucks.......

Mike