Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lee-Enfield Question

roscoedoh

The bubba'd up stock on my favorite No. 4 Mk 1 is producing less than desireable accuracy. I can't do much with it as whomever owned it prior to me whittled it down about as far as it can be taken.

I'm thinking that I'd like to look into a quick and cheap restocking project for this rifle to hopefully gleen some better results with it.

Has anyone here done anything with a No. 4 Mk 1 in terms of restocking? I know Boyd's makes a complete set for something like $65 and I'm looking heavily at it. However, if anyone knows of any other stockmaker's offerings, I would like to look at them before making any decisions.

Also, if anyone has any photos of their restocked LE, I would like to have a peek at them to get a feel for what my finished product may look like.

Thanks,

Jason

Here is an old Bishop stock on a No. 3 Mk 1 , pardon the dust bunnies (it has missed it's last deer and now lies in the back of the vault)--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/smle.jpg

fritz

Tom,

Thank you for posting, but I'm looking for an aftermarket sporter type stock. Further, I'm kind of after something with more of a pistol grip and cheek piece than the straight grip military look.

Looking at it now, this will more than likely become an after Christmas project as I'm looking into changing jobs and relocating soon.

I will say that I used an AIM SMLE stock to remilitarize my SMLE and I was impressed with the results.

Thanks for the help though!

Jason

Thanks for posting sonic.

Thats what I was looking for! I may do an ebony forend and grip cap though. I have a big block of ebonywood that's been begging me to do something with it.

I'll get started on this project as soon as I get settled...

Jason

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting sonic.

Thats what I was looking for! I may do an ebony forend and grip cap though. I have a big block of ebonywood that's been begging me to do something with it.

I'll get started on this project as soon as I get settled...

Jason

Check out http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-enfield.html for a nice synthetic stock. Just got one for my no.4 MK1 and it looks great. RamLine also makes synthetic stocks for the enfields, but after doing my research I found too many pepole complaining of the poor quality compared to the ATI stocks. Plus the ATI can be purchased from Brownells for under $70 .

post-326-1140236090_thumb.jpg

post-326-1140236105_thumb.jpg

I like the lines of those synthetic stocks, but alas, I'm too traditional....

Only wood will work for my Smelly. (Should I ever get to it!)

Jason