Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Old Sporterized Mauser

TLynn

Doble Troble

(6/14/05 12:04)

Reply Old sporterized Mauser

What do you think of the stock work?

It's the nicest reworked military stock I've seen. It looks like someone who otherwise knew what they were doing decided to practice some carving. This has some ideas percolating in my head.

I am Bubba (but learning)

z1r

(6/14/05 12:20)

Reply Re: Old sporterized Mauser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neat but the LOP will be way too short. Just MHO.

I saw guys at school that carved cheeck pieces out of the original stocks. Amazing work, fantastic practice, but the stock best fits a 13 YO.

Doble Troble

(6/14/05 12:56)

Re: Old sporterized Mauser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's definitely going to be short. I'm not sure why 'cause I'm not particularly short, but I like a short LOP 12.5 - 13". My 6.5 BJAI on a beat-up 24/47 stock is just right. I suppose if you wanted it longer you could square up the butt and install a thick recoil pad. This would change and have to be accounted for in the design.

Food for thought anyway! It's neat to see what a talented person can do with a military stock.

z1r

(6/14/05 13:10)

Quote:

It's neat to see what a talented person can do with a military stock.

Agreed. It's neat to see anyone do something well!

LOP is definitely a personal preference kinda thang. I like em longish 14.25" - 14.5".

Jimro

(6/14/05 14:01)

It's a nice job all right, but the guy is asking about 100 bucks more than I'd be willing to spend.

Jimro

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/14/05 20:02)

Five bucks says he don't get a single bid (unlless it is an illegitament bid).

Besides, the seller is from NJ.

fritz

"It seems like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

montea6b

(6/15/05 0:49)

A month or two ago I was pondering what to do with the original stock off my project. It was a heavily oiled and dented virtual throwaway off my VZ-24, but still it seemed a shame to just toss it.

Fritz had motivated me to want to try the granite flecked paint with an old pre-"___" (insert name of ezboard crash day here) post with a photo, and thought that I could do a lot to build up a cheekpiece and pistol grip if the results were to be covered with paint.

Yet a part of me also wondered just what I could do to make the wood look presentable. I do like the look of walnut. I thought about cutting plugs for the sling and disc holes from the removed forearm wood, and try to skillfully fill the holes, and then checker. (a simple and quick design!)

The driving force behind this effort was that I didn't know how long I'd be checkering my real stock, so I wanted a ready piece to drop the action into in case I got a hankering to go shoot it.

I had already shortened it, rasped a notch for a bent bolt handle, squared up edges of the ejection port, and degreased the wood when tragedy struck. In attempting to square up the butt for the addition of a thick old recoil pad I had laying around, my radial arm saw caught the stock and kicked, splitting a good chunk of wood off the toe. I don't think it's worth trying to salvage.

Anyhow, during this process I got to thinking about how I might treat the pistol grip area. There is a lot of meat there for slenderizing, and I figured that I could make a sort of European style pistol grip similar to what you see on some shotguns. In comparison to a side-by-side that I brought home from Turkey, you can see that there is some similarity in the shape.

user posted image

Although there is less sweeping length in the grip of the Mauser milsurp, I think that a creative individual could still shape it quite nicely. It looks like the guy who did the one pictured in the auction did something pretty similar. I'm a little dissapointed that I probabaly won't see this through to completion now.

To finish with a question, is there a name for the type of grip pictured on the shotgun above? I kind of like it, it has a Euro look to it.

z1r

(6/15/05 7:05)

That grip is just about what the standard grip on riginal Masuer sporters was like. Most of the later guild guns have similar grips. Not all had the rounded end to them, many had crip caps but still retained the long gentle arch. Only thing I know them as is "open" grip.

These czech made Mausrs of the 40's-50's retained the feature. It is indeed a very european feature. Contrast it to new stocks especially those of outfits like Richard's microfit and you'll see that the grip is a much tighter arc and in some cases tries to straighten out at the end.

user posted image

An original Mauser S type.

user posted image

montea6b

(6/15/05 12:17)

Very nice! Are those all yours? I do like the more swept open grip. The Richards classic looks pretty close to this profile in the photos. That's the one I will get if I ever order from them.

Doble Troble

(6/15/05 14:28)

Re: Old sporterized Mauser

I'm turning green looking at that collection too!

Yet another style on the to make list!

z1r

(6/15/05 14:34)

Don't I wish they were mine. Roscoe knows whose they are. I think he lusts after them too. I'd give, well, something valuable for just one.

Nelsdou

(6/15/05 23:22)

Yes, that stock on gunbroker is an interesting piece. Maybe it's my eyes, although the length of pull is short, the butt looks taller from toe to head than the original mil stock.

Keep those photos coming, it's great to see those old mauser sporters. Olsens book has a number of mauser sporters photos, too. I too, like monte, have been tempted to experiment with some beater VZ-24 wood. Certainly less risk to practice on and the price is right.

roscoedoh

(6/21/05 22:08)

Reply Re:Old sporterized Mauser

Sorry to call up an older post, but I just reread this one.

Yes sir. I do know who that collection of rifles belongs to. And he is my hero and who I'd like to be when I'm all growed up. I don't think that's all he has in his collection, just *some* of them. I don't know if anyone's actually seen his entire collection of original, low serial numbered Mausers, but I'm sure it would be a sight to behold - similar to that of seeing Zeus in his full glory!

Lust? I suppose you could call it that. I'm kinda wondering if either I could BS him into adopting me or perhaps he has a daughter I could marry. I don't care how ugly she is as long as she can cook and clean and more importantly that my name is on the will under "To inherit the collection of fine Mausers..."

Jason

bilurey1

(6/22/05 15:51)

Reply Re: Re:Old sporterized Mauser

Alway up for a chance to get someone interested in stock work. I started with Argentine "09 stocks, no extra holes in butt. Later when these became collectable (and expensive) I switched to M08 Brazilians, only takedown tunnel in butt and no fingergrooves in forend, good quality wood.

To avoid reinventing the wheel I got several different copies of older original Mauser catalogs to use a patterns or guides. Also added some G&H pics I scrounged off the auction boards. Started alterations with an instruction sheet from a Fajen semi-inletted stock. Later was lucky enough to find a beginners stock making book by Baker, best I've ever seen, it was from the '30s and everything was done by hand, even making the tools. I kept the bible, DBI's "Custom Guns" in front of me at all times. Ultimately went to pre-turned, semi-inletted stocks as they really reduce time to rough out a blank. Good quality Mauser military stocks still the best for the European style, occasionally find a great Turk stock turned from some of that country's exceptionally fine Circausian walnut.

Jump into it fellows, nothing beats turning out that first really nice stock, and, you will be amazed at how much you'll learn about Mausers. But, be careful, this may lead to "reloading" and other bad habits which I'm sure z1r can address with some authority. Bill

flaco

(6/22/05 19:15)

bilurey1-

I'm intrigued by your post.

It sounds like you've got at least a couple of old literary treasures. And there's a "Shooting Library Forum" down below, with absolutely no books on the shelves.

Since the recent unpleasantness.

I'd appreciate it if you'd share additional information about these books.

Thanks,

flaco

Nelsdou

(6/22/05 23:15)

Another classic is "Gunstock Finishing and Care" by A. Donald Newell, written back in '49. Although it's primarily about finishes, he's got a pretty good chapter on sporterizing military stocks - mausers, enfields, springfields, and arisaka.