Military Firearm Restoration Corner

sources for stocks

youngtrout

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any good resources out there for stocks.

I had a second ordered from Richards but the told me they had no seconds for a left handed mauser, so back to the drawing board.

I was looking at Great American Gunstocks, man do they have some pretty wood there! But they are a bit pricey.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any resources or other outlets for rifle stocks, I have found a few others but would like to hear about some others.

thanks for any imput

I bought one from Dakota Cliff's ebay stock shop. I bid on one for auction that had a few minor flaws, but the grain is going to water your eyes when it is finished. There's lots of wood to remove, but if you don't mind a little extra work you can get a nice tight fit and shape it just how you like. Here's a link:

Dakota Cliff's

Those are some pretty stocks! "dakotas on ebay" very nice, and I'll check sporter express also.

I guess what really draws me to richards is the 50% off the seconds, I have had very good luck with these and without breaking the bank, do others offer SECONDS like richards

thanks

Those are some pretty stocks! "dakotas on ebay" very nice, and I'll check sporter express also.

I guess what really draws me to richards is the 50% off the seconds, I have had very good luck with these and without breaking the bank, do others offer SECONDS like richards

thanks

Boyds does but according to Roscoedoh, they suck. Boyds are cheap enough as-is. I like their JRS stock when you slim it down a lot and shorten the forend. They run about $65 with sling swivels and recoil pad attached. Hard to beat that. Here's one on my M48A.

IPB Image

Youngtrout,

Caveat Emptor my friend. You get what you pay for....

I just finished a 6.5x55 on a Boyd's JRS second and after full length glass bedding to correct the shoddy factory inletting and my heavy handed, misguided inletting, it turned out nicely. For the life of me, I never have a camera handy when its out of the safe or else I'd post pictures. I really think it turned out fine - if you can tolerate the occasional glassbed compound showing here or there.

I also have a Boyd's Dakota Will that I've tinkered with but cannot get excited about because the inletting on this does suck. I don't know how else to put it. There's probably 3/64"-1/8" clearance around the tang along and I didn't put that there. And its off-centered. As is the rest of the inletting. And I couldn't of sent it back if I had wanted to because seconds are sold as is. So I'm stuck with it and don't paricularly care for it. I'll probably end up using it for something or 'nother.

This has been my experience with seconds stocks: one turned out to be a dandy while the other is just a piece of junk. Both are seconds.

I can tell you that for what my time is worth, it'll be worth it to me to pay the extra $30 in the future to get a regular (warrantied!) factory stock to save myself the hassle of all the extra bedding work I've had to do. Plus, the finished product will look that much better. I do understand if you're strapped for cash, but outside of being forced to meet a deadline, I would urge you to wait just a little longer and be able to pay for what you want in lieu of settling for what you can afford. Just be patient my friend; the rest of your project won't go anywhere.

Or...if you're in a hurry (like I was with my 30-06), contact Davis May and buy one of his Butler Creek stocks for your project. All it took was filing down the tang a little, some inletting, and a night to bed everything and I've got a shooter. Easy as pie comparatively...

Jason

I bought one from Dakota Cliff's ebay stock shop. I bid on one for auction that had a few minor flaws, but the grain is going to water your eyes when it is finished. There's lots of wood to remove, but if you don't mind a little extra work you can get a nice tight fit and shape it just how you like. Here's a link:

Dakota Cliff's

montea6b, how's their inletting. I'd rather do the extra work than end up with gaps like Boyd's stocks.

-Don

montea6b, how's their inletting. I'd rather do the extra work than end up with gaps like Boyd's stocks.

-Don

you know, for those prices you could get a blank and have it turned. that would ensure tight inletting.

i have bought 5 boyds stocks and mostly there inletting is very loose..i ordered a dakota will in laminate.

last oct. finally got it in jan. but inletting was great so i ordered a enfield stock for a .45 acp project i"m on..

Thanks for all the great feedback, I have one of the boyds, pretty happy with it, ya the inletting was a bit sloppy but solved with a bit of a badding job.

For this project I'm looking for a nice stick of wood, I wanted a fancy AAA but seeing they said thet didn;t have any,,,,,,,,,,,,,are blanks that different from left to right?????? The ones on ebay seem to be just thick slabs of wood, whats different from left to right???????

Still may go with a fancy A, they have a sale on them, with a C&R discount it's not that bad.

thanks guys

Donmarkey,

The inletting on the Dakota Cliff stock seems pretty tight from what I can tell so far. Keep in mind that this is only my second project, so I don't have a lot of experience. So far I've only inlet the triggerguard, and the only gaps are small and of my own making. It appears as though there will be a substantial amount of work to inlet the action, which means either a nice tight fit or a lot more opportunities to screw it up!

Monty

P.S. Here's a few shots of the one I ended up with. I have since fitted a 1" red Pachmayr Old English style pad and ebony forarm tip. It's beautiful when wetted, and I look forward to getting her really finished right. (I'll be sure to post more photos when I do!)

As I said, this one had a few minor flaws and was listed as an auction as opposed to the ones that have a buy-it-now price. If you're curious, I ended up paying $140 for it. A little more than I originally planned, but I thinks it's still a pretty good price for the amount of figure it has.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well took the pluge and ended up with a Great american gunstock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just like the above post, I paid a little more than I figured I should but I hope to have a nice stick of wood!!

I guess I'm a bit put out by richards, They do have nice wood but there is always some extra meat to them, and not a whole lot of shape, and phone skills seems to be somewhat lacking. GAG's seem to be a bit more streamlined, and super nice to talk with, felt confortable handing over my pay to play. I'll post with an image, its already cut so no 8 weeks, should have it next week!

thanks

Well took the pluge and ended up with a Great american gunstock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just like the above post, I paid a little more than I figured I should but I hope to have a nice stick of wood!!

I guess I'm a bit put out by richards, They do have nice wood but there is always some extra meat to them, and not a whole lot of shape, and phone skills seems to be somewhat lacking. GAG's seem to be a bit more streamlined, and super nice to talk with, felt confortable handing over my pay to play. I'll post with an image, its already cut so no 8 weeks, should have it next week!

thanks

YT,

If you're ever in So Calif, take some time and go by Richards shop in Sunland for a visit. Lots to see inside, but, wear very old clothes, carry a Glock, bring someone who can speak Spanish and don't go with very high hopes of getting waited on or getting what you wanted if you did. Other than that, they have lots of stocks to look at and don't really care how long you stand around in their warehouse/shop.

No there's all sorts of folks working in there, but a few real attitudes. The neighborhood has some pretty tough looking guys around there.

So far as I know it's not Hispanic owned, but it wouldn't matter if it was. Good businessmen are good businessmen and good employees are good employees.

When I have ordered by phone, rather than going in, I have gotten the wrong item, or an unsatisfactory item or had my credit card charged twice. I'd rather see what I'm buying and sign the cc slip or write the check in person.

They always made right whatever I was unhappy with. I'd just rather do it once.

And they really do have an enormous amount of stocks to look at, and they really don't seem to care if you want to crawl around for hours and look.

It's worth the trauma to drive to L. A. once every few years to see the place.

The only way I buy from Richards is to go there. Then I can cherry pick the stocks on hand for a bargain that I know I can fix. The bix mexican guy runninng the sander is named brad if I rememebr right. He's a real nice guy and has done me up right in the past. Over the phone its a real crapshoot.