Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Synthetic Stock Questions?

roscoedoh

Guys,

Although money is as tight now as it ever has been, I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a synthetic stock somewhere to finish my Turkington 30-06 since the Boyds stock I have really sucks in terms of inletting and based on some bad advice, I over opened the barrel channel.

So, plan B:

I'm interested specifically in Butler Creek stocks. I seem to be able to get the best deals on these. Next up would be Corelite, then Hogue. Since I'm mostly a classic wood stock kind of guy, I haven't spent any time looking into synthetics and know nothing about them. All I want is something inexpensive that will get the job done and get me shooting this fall as deer season is sneaking up on me already.

So, what was your experience with the three stocks mentioned above; the Butler Creek in particular? Any accuracy problems? Flexibility? Bedding? I can glass bed and/or pillar bed the action if need be.

What do yall think?

Thanks,

Jason

I have a Butler creek and a couple Corelites and they are all decent stocks. I also have a Ramline that is a piece of crap. The Corelite stocks seem to be a little stiffer than the Butler creek but I think the Butler creek is a tad lighter.

I have a Hogue stock on a Mossberg 500 and it is nice.

I used a butler creek on a .308 mauser. I loved the price, but it felt a little flimsy in the forend, probably because I had shaved it just enough to free-float the barrel. I took a pair of welding rods (any metal rod 3/8" to 1/4", about 9 or so inches long) and my trusty dremel tool, notched the cross beams enough to pop in the rods ( I did 'just off' parallel for a little extra rigidity, but I don't think it would matter), and then smeared in some brownell's acra-gel over it. Then I used acragel to glass bed the reciever points. I looked at the pillers to glass bed, but just decided against it for this rifle. End result - a forend every bit as stiff as wood, just a lot lighter. The whole assembly only added a few ounces to the forend, certainly nothing noticable, and took about 10 minutes to do and a few hours to dry. That made the butler creek a top-notch synthetic at a great price. Great feel and weight and really nice look. I've held the Hogue overmolded stock, but never used it on a rifle. I loved it. It's really nice, but you won't save any money going with it verses wood. I also have to agree, the ramline stocks feel very flimsy to me, and the guns I've seen that used them seem to show a lot of scratches from hunting in trees. Corelite has a nice reputation, but I've never dealt with them.

Jason,I have a Corelite and Hogue,and I like the lightness of the Hogue but the Corelight seems to be a harder material.My Hogue has a Swede in it and I'm going to attempt to get it Accra Glassed before deer season.Tougher or hander,looks like your decision.I looked at Butler Creeks a couple times at the Dallas gunshow,and if I had enough scratch,I would've bought one.They looked and felt like good work stocks.Jerry

Jason,I have a Corelite and Hogue,and I like the lightness of the Hogue but the Corelight seems to be a harder material.My Hogue has a Swede in it and I'm going to attempt to get it Accra Glassed before deer season.Tougher or hander,looks like your decision.I looked at Butler Creeks a couple times at the Dallas gunshow,and if I had enough scratch,I would've bought one.They looked and felt like good work stocks.Jerry

2804[/snapback]

corelight will do you fine....and save money

Thanks for the information guys.

I got in touch with Davis and he has one for me. He's going to hold it for me till I get paid next week.

I should have this rifle finished soon!

Jason

I've had great luck with the Corelite stocks, for deer season you can't go wrong. With all the work I'm doing to inlet a Boyd's JRS laminate I'm cursing myself for not just getting another corelight, but I wanted something a little different...

Jimro

i have a Bell & Carlson on my 30/06 project. i liked the stock design better of the B&C than most of the others, but they're a bit pricey. and the fore end could probably use some stiffening. though i'll probably never do it. Heard only good things about B&C.

I have Corelight, Choate, Advanced Technology, and Ramline, but no Hogue yet.

My opinion of injection moulded stocks is that the original surplus stock is easier to bed, lighter, stiffer, but uglier.

If one has BIG BUCKS, then they can get a stock that is better than the surplus stock:

Walnut

Laminiated wood

laid up fiberglass, carbon fiber ect.

The big problem with the injection moulded stocks is that they are flimsy and inaccurate, or heavy, and always a pain to get the glass to stick.

For $200, HIGH TECH SPECIALTIES makes a nice product.

I would rather have one of those than 4 more injection moulded stocks.

http://www.bansnersrifle.com/hightech/stock_list.html

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...TIC+RIFLE+STOCK

Everyone knows I'm not much of a fan of synthetic stocks but the Butler Creek stock that came on the CD mauser I bought is it's only redeeming quality. Only thing I don't like is that it is cut for the side safety.

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Now THAT'S a rifle!!

Too cool--

Don't know if I just happened upon a dud but the one Corlite (and only) I have bought has about the worst inletting I have ever seen. It will take at least a couple of bedding kits just to fill in the gaps around the action. Maybe some are better than others but I have bought my last one.