Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Checkering Diamonds, The "golden Ratio", And Powdered Charcoal

montea6b

As each coat of finish on the Swede's stock cures, (It's looking good, I'll post photos when it's done) I've been contemplating the checkering pattern I'll use. I have sketched out several point patterns, as well as some more rounded fluer di leis patterns, yet I'm still undecided.

I've also tried to come up with a geometrically proportioned angle for the diamonds to that I can make a template for the master lines. On my last project I just winged it, choosing angles that looked "right", but I am striving for better consistency this time. Using graph paper I haven't been able to get anything that looks just right. They are either too square, or too sharply angled.

Over morning coffee this weekend I was sitting on the couch, absent-mindedly pulling the fabric on my plaid PJ pants diagonally into diamond shapes, contemplating the resulting ratios of long to short sides, and wondering if I should measure and capture it when I got it just right, when suddenly it hit me... The "Golden Ratio"!!!

If you're not sure what I'm talking about just do a Google search on this term. It would take far too long to explain here, and I couldn't begin to do it justice.

Anyhow, I looked it up myself on Google and I think this is the answer. I haven't drawn it out yet, but visually the proportions look just right for making checkering diamonds aesthetically pleasing. There's a reason why Da Vinci was such an artistic genius.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend trying to pulverize charcoal to tint the pore filling slurry a darker color. It just seemed ineffective. It all settled to the bottom of the finish and I don't think it did much good. Perhaps a finer carbon dust like graphite powder or bone-black would be better. Something that would actually remain suspended in the solution. Interesting experiment anyhow, and the stock certainly looks no worse for the effort.

Most checkering has proportions for the diamonds ranging from 2 1/2 to 1 up to 3 to 1, length to width ratio. Anything much outside those limits looks a bit strange.

Clemson

Mauser98, I hadn't though of it in terms of forearm length, but it makes sense. I had heard of the rule of thumb of making the end at the midpoint of the barrel, which is what I have used on my two projects. This looks pretty good, but if a barrel band sling swivel is used then it really looks odd. I think for a sleeker euro-style sporter the barrel band should go at the midpoint of the barrel, with the forend tip ending well before that. I'll bet the "golden section" would be a perfect tool for determining this point. Here's a good link:

Golden ratio

Clemson, I happen to think that 2:1 or greater looks too elongated. It's just a matter of perference I guess. What I was considering was to make a diamond template that fits within the box labeled "golden rectangle" in the link above. This would make it just a little less than 2:1, but I think that looks most pleasing to the eye. IMHO...