Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Involuntary "national Service" Is Slavery Pure And Simple.

karlunity

Involuntary "national Service" is slavery pure and simple.
I just heard a retired Gen Stanley Allen McChrystal, say that he was pushing for a program of required "National service of some sort". Let me make this clear. Preforming because "Service" because you WANT to do it as a FREE choice is a fine and noble thing.
But being FORCED to render "Service" accept in time of war, when the very life and freedom of the nation is at risk, is SLAVERY and that the Constitution FORBIDS. We are free people not the serfs of Europe and we have the right and only we have the right to decide what "Service" we will do or not do.

karl

Karl you are reminding me of the late 60's draft. The lefties argued the draft was involuntary servitude because we were not really at war but a so-called "police action". Congress never did declare war. I was born in 1950. Many in my age group opted to join LBJ's Great Society Peace Corps to evade the draft. Many were surprised to find a new draft card in the mail. Upgrading them to 1A when their two year hitch Peace Corps was up. Something the Peace Corps didn't tell volunteers when they signed up. Many were misled into believing the Peace Corps would get them out of the draft when all it did was take them off the list for two years.

I'm not opposed to a draft if we are at war but no way should one be forced into national service. I see it simply as a way to get free back breaking labor to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure. If it were to happen the SWHTF bigger than ever on college campuses again as it did in the late 60's. I don't see it ever happening again but if it does my guess is the system will be as crooked as it was with the draft. People buying their way into exemptions, well connected people pulling strings or as in case in California. A Dentist took a job driving a garbage truck getting him an exemption for working in health services. He used it as a stall tactic until he got hired by Indian Health Services.

I knew many 18 and 19 year olds in the Scottsdale area that had to maintain a full time job in order to get an allowance from their wealthy family's estate. They might have been pumping gas or as I did work in an auto parts store. Their family often paid off somebody getting them exemptions. One guy I worked with had an occupational deferment supposedly working in a war industry. He wasn't smart enough to work the counter we used him to deliver parts. His mother was loaded and although he made minimum wage. He lived in a large home and him and his wife drove new vehicles. I knew another registered in diamond cutting school but he never attended the 6 year hitch but had an exemption until the lottery.

There was a Fox News report that the last known draftee recently retired from the Army. If I'm not mistaken he worked his way up through the ranks, retiring as a Warrant Officer. The report didn't mention if he was sent to Nam as most draftees were in the late 60's. My guess is he must have been assigned a job he enjoyed to stay on as a lifer.

As I recall the two easiest ways out were claiming to be a bed wetter or homosexual. In the Phx area there was a hand grenade factory that simply paid minimum wage but it was a free pass out of the draft until the lottery. After the lottery and most occupational deferments ending. The factory boosted wages and still couldn't hire enough people.

Go to any number of small ..pvt colleges and enroll as a "General Student major no yet declared" Take classes you like ..sports...gym..art...etc it is pass fail and as long as you pay, you don't fail.

If you were "connected" there was the National Guard.Clinton and Bush pulled that trip.

karl

Funny part is that by 76-77..the NG was begging for people.

The war was over and gee guess what? The ranks emptied out very quickly.

A NG recruiter offered me bars on the basis of some college and the fact that i had been a Marine NCO.

A few years before in NYC I was told they were turning away people.

karl

Funny part is that by 76-77..the NG was begging for people.

The war was over and gee guess what? The ranks emptied out very quickly.

A NG recruiter offered me bars on the basis of some college and the fact that i had been a Marine NCO.

A few years before in NYC I was told they were turning away people.

karl

When I tried enlisting in the Air Force's Buddy Plan with my friends late 60's I failed the hearing test. I tried the Guard then it was the Navy, Army and finally the Marines. The Navy and Army put me through a physical even though they were aware I flunked the A/F hearing test. The Guard didn't do as much as take my name after telling them of failing the A/F hearing test. After he squished the pack of cigarettes in my pocket, told me to quit smoking, start running, lose 20 lbs then come back and see them.

A Marine recruiter came up with a scheme believing I could pass the lower standards of the draft. He was desperate, chasing me down in the parking lot after I left the Army recruiting office. I believe the Army recruiter called the Marine recruiter. The recruiter's offices were all in the same shopping mall. The slick Army recruiter didn't tell me on the phone I failed the physical. Said he wanted to talk to me then twisted my arm to join the Peace Corps.

Following the Marine recruiter's instructions. I was to volunteer for the draft telling the draft board that I wanted to sign up for the draft vs an enlistment so I could only do two years. Then before being sworn in I was to see the Marine recruiter at the draft board. About a week later the Marine recruiter called and chewed my ass big time for not telling him I failed the Navy's physical. He angrily said something about me screwing up his quota. A few days later I got my "Greetings" post card. Draft board rated me 1Y and later 4F.

The military has always had a problem keeping the right amount of people. Sometimes they offer ridiculous bonuses, other time they are offering early retirements, then a year later they turn on the "stop loss" programs, and nobody gets out. It's a constant numbers game that varies with the mission. (and the budget)

Like anything else it is supply and demand.

I would NOT have been allowed to join the Marines in 64 or 74 20/200 without lenes

But in 68? They were losing a 100 or more a week in The Nam, a lot of those were marines and so.as they needed grunts, .they allowed me in.

karl