Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tough Week

FC

It's been a tough couple of weeks at work. The new hospital opened to inpatients Sunday, and outpatients Monday. Monday 0730 started with a tornado warning. One young guy with one leg came in on crutches while we stayed in the halls. Tech and electrical issues have been a bear. We have elevators from hell. One of our techies was on the verge today, and I've been a stressed out grump. Each day gets a bit better.Finally get to go home tonight after 2 weeks. Unbelievable how much time local area pagers, code blue/stork, and nurse call system are taking. The nurse call system is really sucky.The good news is that I sold the idea of Vocera communication devices. $854k. They're like Star Trek badges. My hearing is so cr appy meetings are tough. I have a hearing aid and right ear is about gone. Last day in office is 5 months away! My oldest daughterdaughter, 21, told me to quit sending her articles on politics, global warming, etc. Frustrating. I tried to set the 3 girls on the right path, but only the youngest is thinking straight.Looking forward to seeing my wife and 3 dog children.

Sounds like the clinic was built and supplied by the lowest bidder.

Doesn't always work that way. In the early 70's I worked as an outside salesman for an auto parts warehouse. I was paid a token salary plus commission. After working my ass off, spending a considerable amount of time. I managed to get the low bid on spark plugs for the county. If you think about it. Everything from road graters, lawn mowers to Sheriff's cars use park plugs. Back in the 70's the average life of an automotive spark plug was 10-15,000 miles. I was almost counting the $$'s of my commission when my manager got a letter saying our business did not meet their affirmative action point system criteria. We were given 30 days to comply or our bid would not be considered. When the county put out bids for belts, hoses and cooling system parts their letter was immediately round filed.

The county wound up paying nearly a dime more per spark plug for a lower quality brand, Prestolite. From my warehouse we had all the name brands. Champion, AC, Autolite and Wagner.