Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Think Before You Act.

karlunity

The Hippy was cooking last week and burned her hand..Second degree.

It is getting better now, I am cooking for the time being and won't let her near her stove.

Gotta keep an eye on her : )

We have the oven mitts and tongs but she was in a hurry and her hand hit the top of the oven.

Not to worry as she is on the mend. her hand is just peeling a bit now which i understand is normal

But USE those gloves...

karl

What is annoying is that it took me two days to talk her into going to a doctor...she does not believe in them, and when she went, the PA, she did not get to see a doctor, gave her a cream that made things worse.

She went to the drug store and got some "wet" band-aids and things are looking far better.

I have been cooking, wont let her near any thing hot, meat and pats..organic of course :)

Offered Hot dog..but it seems that they have bad stuff in them...

karl of the kitchen

How big is the burn? Get the biggest tube of "triple antibiotic ointment" generic that the drug store sells. Put it on there thick at least 3 times a day. Watch out for the area getting red and hard, that's infection and needs oral antibiotics from a real doctor, regardless of what the Hippy wants.

Thanks Dr.Hess.

It was about the size of a quarter

It is pink and soft and flaking.

It is no as painful but as it is between the thumb and index finger it tends to stretch as she moves her hand,

Why is the skin flaking so much? Anything for flaking.

I still will not let her near the stove until it is healed

Karl of the kitchen

You are right about the doctor.

But

The last visit and the failure of that PA only reinforced her views.

Still, I have an ace. I will tell her that if she does not go, should it be required, and I hope that it will not be, there may be a scar.

Ladies hate scars So that will do it.

karl

If it is 2nd degree, it will scar. The flaking is because that skin is dead. Dead skin (or anything dead) doesn't get better. It only stays dead. It will have to heal in from underneath and from the sides. You want the dead stuff off, so let if flake, if that's what it's doing. Keep plenty of the antibiotic ointment on it with a dressing over it. Keep the whole area clean.

I ran a burn unit for a month.

Don't get me started on PA's.

Don't get me started on PA's.

I agree!! I could write a few horror stories about PA's but on the other hand an Osteopathic PA may have saved my life after discovering during my stem cell transplant I was being double dosed on pain meds. I was being given apx 285 mgs of Oxycontin and Oxcodone (80's every 8 hours and 15's in between the 80mg dose) orally per day while hooked up to an IV of Dilaudid. I barely remember any of it. The MD's order to discontinue the oral meds while hooked to the IV was lost some how.

EDIT: Despite the mistakes in the hospital. Drs's and an experimental drug bought me 5 years of life past the original 6 month life expectation. I live today with an extremely high tolerance of pain meds and the agony of being weaned down but at least I'm alive and forever grateful to all those that contributed.

I told the Hippy to look on the bright side...now she does not have to cook for a while

karl

Now is your chance to spoil her with unhealthy food. A grilled Rueben sandwich with plenty of corned beef and swiss cheese or a BLT with double bacon and plenty of real mayo. I treat myself and eat unhealthy once per week. Usually a pizza with plenty of Italian sausage, extra cheese and if I feel brave I'll have them add bacon or pepperoni.

She loved that stuff in her pre health food days.

Won't touch it now.

Once is a great while if we have to eat out, she backslides.

The best part of this is I got rid of all of the green stuff.

except Lattice and peas...hey they are green : )

evil karl

Still if you figure that we have a combined age of 138 and we are on no meds and healthy.

I guess she is doing something right.