Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Revolver Cylinder Poilshing Question.

rdm1962

My main carry pistol is a Ruger SP 101 in 327 Federal. The fired casings will not eject free form the cylinder. The star extractor will push them out. The ejector rod is not long enough to push the casing all the way out of the cylinder. I have to pull them out by hand. I don't always have to do it to every casing and not every time.

Would polishing the chambers of the cylinders correct this problem? I have some small felt polishing cone for a Dremel. A little compound should slick the inside surface of the chambers. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic? Thanks Ralph

Note that I'm not a wheel gun guy. While I don't think polishing would hurt anything, I think the main problem is the design of the gun. If the cases are not pushed out to clear the cylinder, there will always be the potential for one to hang up. I suspect that is a "six gun" and if you can't get it done in 6, you should have brought a different gun, not a speed loader.

rdm1962

Yes you can polish the chambers. However I use caution on using a dremel unless you can vary the speed down a lot. A cordless drill at low speed and your felt polishing cone with some JB bore polish is all you need. A little at a time and SLOW speed, do not go beyond the chamber itself and get into the throat.

Rebel49

Agreed. it is hanging up for some reason.

If it always the same chamber, I would look at the brass and measure it before I polish.

It is a very very long shot but the chamber could be too large coursing the case to over expand and polishing would just make it worse.

If the cases are all the same size or if there is a mark on the case from the troublesome chamber, polishing would be a good thing/

Using that care which the other gentlemen suggest.

If the cases will fall out by holding the cylinder upward, using gravity to remove the cases. I don't really think polishing will help. More that I think about it. The 327 Federal is a pretty long cartridge. Ruger will advise you of the best method via a phone call.

I got a new in box Ruger 45 Convertible about 10 years ago. I had to have all the cylinder mouths reamed. Every one was under sized and the accuracy was simply horrible. It was like a night vs day improvement in the shot to shot accuracy after having all 12 cylinder mouths reamed to a consistent .452.

I approached Ruger about the problem and was told as long as it shot over the counter factory jacketed ammo with in their specs. All they would do is send it back to me.

I have a Ruger 45 convertible. It had light primer hits always. It did OK with store-bought ammo, but reloads would have some that just didn't get hit hard enough to go off. Also, the barrel wasn't screwed in all the way. The front sight was cocked to the right when you looked down range. I sent it back to Ruger. They fixed the barrel but it came back with even lighter primer hits than when I sent it off. I eventually brought it to a gun smith and told him to fix it. He did and I haven't had a problem with it since.

I'll have to actually measure the case to see how much is still in the cylinder at the end of the ejector stroke. I'll get a picture posted in a day or two with the measurements. Ralph

Doc from what I've read on other gun boards. Rugers are all currently being made with inconsistent cylinder mouth sizes. I read somewhere but can't recall where. It is due to a change in Ruger's manufacturing process. Not a big problem if shooting jacketed bullets but lead, non gas checked lead especially will not shoot accurately without having the cylinders reamed. Most Ruger S/A's usually have a tight spot in the barrel in front of the forcing cone that can also have an adverse effect on lead bullet accuracy. I haven't done it but I've read posts from other Ruger guys shooting lead. Having the forcing cone elongated will eliminate the tight spot and drastically improve accuracy. The only way to properly check the cylinder mouth size is to jam a lead ball or plug through the cylinder and measure the ball. If the cylinder mouth's size is smaller than the barrel's bore size it will never shoot lead worth a hoot.

Az,

The one I have is an early 80's manufacture. No telling what QC they had then, but given the other problems, I'd say not much. I never really tried precision target work with it. It's just a "fun gun" for me, blasting cowboy style with a cowboy holster, etc. I've never even used the LC cylinder, just the ACP one.

I've never even used the LC cylinder, just the ACP one.

Doc if you ever get into a masochist mood try a few of the published Ruger, Thompson Contender only 45 Colt loads. Near 44 mag performance but your wrist and the web between your thumb and index finger will cry ouch.

• 4 weeks later...

If anybody should ever come across or know of one for sale. I'm looking for an additional 45ACP cylinder for the Ruger Blackhawk. Mine is a late 90's or early 2000 series. It was given to me as a gift new in the box so I'm not exactly sure of the manufacture date.

I haven't tried personally but from what I've read on the net. Ruger is extremely stingy with cylinders. Unless one is willing to pay Ruger way to much to install and fit the cylinder. Ruger limits to just a very few custom gunsmiths they will sell cylinders to.

I would like to get another ACP cylinder altered to accept 45 Auto Rim.