Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope Bases Without Hump Removed

dcs12345

I use weaver 2pc bases. The front base is #46 and the rear base is #45 for large ring actions. For small ring actions I use weaver #46 for the front and # 55 for the rear. I also have a 1pc from redfield. Dave

Hey Don-

Will those Leupold bases for the 98 work for the intermediate sized actions, too? I'm considering drilling and tapping for bases on my Yugos, just in case I want a normally-mounted scope later on (they're going to be scout mounted first). I had kinda figured that if I ever want to mount a regular scope, I'd have to go grinding off the charging hump, etc.

Never tried it, but it should work fine. I'll pull and set of bases and check when I have a minute.

-Don

Yup, The Leupold two piece 98 bases will work on the Yugo's too.

the redfeild one piece for the 98 works fine on the turks i have also used both leupold and burris two piece bases on the 24/47 and 48's i had to drill and tap the front base holes first and then pull the roll pin in the front of my jig and slide the jig forward till the bolt bushing hit the rear of the receiver ring then lock it back down and drill and tap rear holes this work fine although it takes a little longer if your jig has the roll pin in front be sure and drill and tap the front base hole first the roll pin keeps you from drilling and tapping into the bolt lug raceway hope this helps ps i did mill the stripper humps off the 24/47's and 48's before i used the fn two piece bases a buddy of mine uses the two piece bases for the 98 and does not mill the stripper hump off it takes him a little longer to do the rear base but he basicly does it the same way

There used to be Weaver #45 military rear mounts for Mausers, but one can just relieve the rear of the rear base with a grinder or die grinder until it fits over he hump.

• 3 weeks later...
There used to be Weaver #45 military rear mounts for Mausers, but one can just relieve the rear of the rear base with a grinder or die grinder until it fits over he hump.

This is exactly what I do. I also generally glass bed the bases to the action. It may not do anything but make me feel better.