Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What All Did Grand Dad Do? 8mm German Sniper

aandy767

Great uncle sent this gun to grand dad near the end of the war. He and my dad put the stock on it. I am quite sure the scope is original.

Did he jewel the bolt?

Did he taper the barrel?

Did he change the handle on the bolt?

Don't flame him to bad, we lost alot of folks over there and his generation did not think of the historical value.

post-5408-1233189600_thumb.jpg

I'm sure others here will be able to answer your questions better than I, but I sure won't flame them. They did a nice job sporterizing in the style of the time. Nice stock, too.

I'm sure others here will be able to answer your questions better than I, but I sure won't flame them. They did a nice job sporterizing in the style of the time. Nice stock, too.

Nice job of sporterizing, looks like a Herter's recoli pad with the z style white line and the stock also looks like one of Herters. Barrel still has the steps of the military contour. Looks to be made in the 60's-70's on a style that the owner favored. I happen to like the reworked military warhorses of that period, did a few myself. Yours is special as it belonged to Grand Dad. Keep it as is and enjoy it.

Bob

Thanks, I think they did it in the early 60's. Grand dad loaned it to me to hunt with back in collage. There both gone now, and I wish I had gotten the story on the rebuild.

My cousin has an unmolested, 8mm semi auto. From the same uncle.

I've also got an argentine 7.65 that he put a scope on. I guess I need to check the accuracy before I start doing anything to it.

Aandy the scope and mounts are worth a few bucks. About 5 or 6 years ago a set of those mounts went on Ebay for over 500. Since then SARCO was and likely still is selling repros so I assume the price has gone down. Most likely the mounts and scope came off of a WW2 sniper rifle. If the mounts or scope have any Nazi proof marks, and the scope is serviceable bet they would easily fetch a thousand, possibly more.

Nazi collectors are a weird bunch. They don't part with cash very easily but I've got some pretty good non military handgun trades out of them.

I had the same mounts on a 09 Argie. After watching the Ebay auction I put the mounts on the trading block and I came close to accepting a $400 offer for the mounts only as I didn't have a scope. I wound up horse trading the Argie rifle away with the mounts still attached.

Does your Argie have the same turret type mounts?

Nazi eagle on the barrel, numbers on scope mounts match barrel and action. (rifle above)

What made me start looking at sporterizing, was the Argie.

Granddad ran a machine shop in Waco Texas. I think he tuned out the argie mounts out over a lunch break with time to spare.

I've got two boys. They have single shot 20ga, they will need autos or O/U, and deer rifles. when you need two or three of everything you start to look for resources.

I weld and do woodworking. This is a good place for me.

So, the Argie will need some dressing up.

here are the mounts.

post-5408-1233292791_thumb.jpg

Also like to stop by the pawn shops now and then, So I might need to edjumacate myself about mausers.

aandy767, congratulations on owning such a fine rifle with the connection to your past. My other comment is your cousin's 8mm semi could possibly be a G43 model. One of those recently was sold on Gunbroker for nearly $1800.

We always lament not spending more time with those special people who have passed.

Spiris

• 1 month later...

When I was 10 years old in 1961, another 10 year old, Norman, told me his father was reaming out a Springfield to 300 Win Mag and bending the bolt on a Mauser.

By 2001, I was reaming 300 Win Mag chambers and bending bolts on Mausers.

I know what Norman was talking about now.