Military Firearm Restoration Corner

This Cop Was Wrong.

Dr.Hess

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/08/white-sc-officer-charged-with-murder-for-shooting-black-man/

Now, the Furgeson case, some of the others, where someone is charging a cop or has a gun or real looking toy in his hand pointing it at them, OK, that is a tough call when they get shot. This one? I mean, the cop shoots at him 7 times as he is running away, then pauses, aims carefully and kills him with a shot to the back while he is running away and, what? 20 yards out? I don't see a threat to the officer's safety or anyone else's at that point. If it hadn't been caught on video, I wonder what the story would have been? This fits with my theory that there are 3 kinds of people that go into police work: 1. Bullies. 2. People who want to shoot someone and get away with it. 3. People who want to help their community, reduce crime, etc. #3 usually burn out and either quit or become bullies.

Unfortunately this incident is going to be played every time a white cop shoots a black man. If I were black I'd be angry but I'd be smart enough to know not to run from a cop.

I agree wholeheartedly with Doc. Most cops I've known didn't last more than five years. I've also known two prison guards that didn't last a year.

This guy (the dead one) was certainly no model citizen. He should not have run from the cop. But the cop doesn't (or shouldn't) have the authority to kill someone for running away. Lethal force just because? That's what has happened to our society. They are not patrolling Fallujah.

I do think that their arresting the cop and charging him will keep a lid on this one. Had that not happened, it would have been bad. Also, what did the cop go back, pick up and throw down next to the body? That's interesting there too. He may have even been fighting with the cop, and could have been shot then, but running away, unarmed and getting shot in the back? That's not right. This is like babies: Who decides it is OK to kill American babies? If they can decide that it is OK to kill babies (especially American babies), without a trial and for the only crime of being "inconvenient," then they can decide to kill any one of us for any reason at all.

Well said Doc. As for the trial for the cop I don't see it happening. If he's lucky he will plea bargain down to 2nd degree but his chances of surviving prison are slim.

My X-wife was a cop. She claimed what she learned best in the two academies she attended. Was on how to get away with anything. I never learned the exact circumstances. She was demoted to dispatching. She claimed it was voluntary but I learned after we split internal affairs after an investigation by an outside agency took her badge and LEO credentials.

My attorney cousin got wealthy on a crooked cop. Cop pulled over a drunk. The drunk was one of his cop buds and co-worker. He let the drunk cop drive home and on the way caused an accident. Killed the driver and made a quad out of the passenger. Cops responding to the accident conveniently failed to report how intoxicated he was. Took about a year for the truth to come out. My cousin's firm handled the victim's tort claim. As part of the agreement my cousin can not and will not reveal the sum or discuss the details.

I'm not fond of cops but there was an exception in the neighborhood I grew up. There was a cop that was more like a father to many of us. He treated us well over looking minor infractions like speeding but like a good father he could be a firm disciplinarian when necessary. At 17 when he caught me with a case of beer he made open and dump it and didn't take it any further. His door was open 24 hours a day if anybody needed help. During his 25 years with Phoenix. He only fired his gun once in the line of duty.

The cop is toast. It will take a few days after a diligent reporter likely using a FOI request to dig into the cop's background. As an ego maniac believing he has god like authority to be judge, jury and executioner. I wont be surprised if he has numerous complaints and most likely some dept issued disciplinary actions. If the cop manages to post bail my gut feeling is suicide is very likely. According to my X. The suicide rate among cops facing a serious felony and prison is extremely high.

Likely just the tip of the iceberg. Probably numerous complaints not filed out of fear of a reprisal. O'Reily said he hasn't been bailed out. He didn't elaborate if he was denied or just hasn't had a hearing.

I remember in the 70s cops could shoot if you ran away, or were trying to escape by vehicle. In fact one guy in my high school stopped his pickup after trying to lose a cop. Three bullet holes in his tailgate, supposedly.

I remember in the 70s cops could shoot if you ran away, or were trying to escape by vehicle. In fact one guy in my high school stopped his pickup after trying to lose a cop. Three bullet holes in his tailgate, supposedly.

I believe the laws of engagement vary by state. According to a friend of mine that formerly worked in the Justice Dept's witness protection program. In Arizona an escaped prisoner or an armed fleeing felon can be shot at. I'm speculating that the SC cop dropped the Taser by the guy he murdered hoping to claim he was an armed fleeing felon. About 10 or so years ago an Az DPS cop was canned for shooting from his vehicle in a high speed pursuit. I can't recall if it was dept policy or law but the rookie cop was immediately fired not just for shooting but for continuing the high speed chase off the freeway and into city streets.