Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Why Would A Guy Making About 109K A Year Be This Stupid?

karlunity

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-pennsylvania/
Why would a guy making about 109k a year be this stupid?
He is a cop and has to know that they have cameras.
I could understand why a kid or a poor guy would try this, inability to pay, NOT that that would be better. Stealing is stealing.
But why would a guy and a cop again making over 100 k do it?

karl

When caught, police say, Carvounis invoked his position, asking again and again for a little professional courtesy — to let him off so he wouldn’t lose his job.

Probably figured he was above the law, being a cop and all.

Isn't he entitled to some freebes?

• 1 month later...

I had to deal with these type morons when I was with the Post Office. Every USPS employee knows they are under constant video surveillance and still kissed away their career stealing something stupid. I personally saw a janitor get cuffed for stealing a quarter he swept off the floor. One of my close co-workers that previously made national news as the driving force behind the national food drive got canned for stealing a can of shoe polish. Another co-worker a Letter Carrier and a retired Army officer. Was stealing parcels from Colombia Record Club and selling the CD's at yard sales. I don't know if he was convicted or just fired. If he was convicted he also lost his military pension. A former neighbor, a grammar school teacher took a temp position with the PO during the school's Christmas break. She got caught stealing food stamps. She was prosecuted and as a convicted felon lost her credentials to teach in Arizona. I'm not a shrink but I believe some people just get such a thrill from stealing they are willing to take the risks.

I didn't know retired military could lose their pension. Guess I'd better keep my nose clean!

That is my understanding but I could be wrong. As a union rep with employees caught stealing. Postal Inspectors advised thieves to resign. If convicted of a felony they were told they would lose their military pension. Inspectors usually had a pre-written contract saying they would not prosecute if the employee immediately resigned and agreed not to use the union's grievance or civil service appeals.

The union didn't want to protect thieves but possibly faced a civil suit if we did not represent them. The union would put the monkey on the employee's back. Advising them to not to speak or answer question without an attorney present. The inspectors countered by saying "don't you want to know what this is about" after reading them their rights. Once the employee began speaking against the union's advice they couldn't claim the union didn't represent them.