Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Impulse Buy, What Did I Get Myself Into!

ShooterTom

Thanks Karl, I hope so. Before I knew what happened my evil twin placed the order.

Dr. Hess it is 450.00 for an the untouched one. I think for a pre-cleaned one they are 675.00. I took a chance and rolled the dice on the untouched. From what i've read the 1885 long lever's are the best bet on getting a decent rifle. It was hard to not want to add the 1864 Snider to the order as well.

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-british-p-1885-martini-henry-mkiv-long-lever-rifle-untouched-condition.html

Tom

I know a couple people that built and shot Trap shotguns with martini actions. In the early 90's you could get a shooter out of SGN for $250. Sure sorry I waited to long to get one.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with an evil twin!!

I blew an opportunity years ago to buy them right. Late 80's or early 90's Navy Arms was doing full page ads on various Martinis in SGN for a few months. I had a FFL and hooked up with two Martini collectors. They combined an order for more than 20 units for a deeper discount. I passed on adding one or two for myself at a dirt cheap price. I was working long hours in my uniform business and started selling firearms to compete with my number one competitor. Guns had simply become merchandise and a PIA to me. I lost interest in guns and shooting for several years.

Ken, A Martini trap gun sounds interesting.

Az, no you are not the only one with an evil twin. Somehow when the Wife discovers the unauthorized procurement, he is never around to explain himself.

The rifle will be here tomorrow, I hope it's a decent one.

Tom

I wonder if our wives know each other ?

The Hippy takes the same view : )

I've found the easiest way to sneak in my unauthorized procurements. I leave with 5 guns and return with 6. Unless it is something like a nickel plated handgun. All my guns look the same to my wife. Much easier than dealing with the "oh no not another" lecture and getting a list of things we need for the next couple weeks.

That, alas, would not work for me.

Back when I started to teach, we had the summer off with no pay and were not allowed to get unemployment as they had you sign your contract in may for the next year, so you were not considered unemployed.

Anyway, we allowed ourselves 5 bucks a day spending money and the Hippy got into the habit of checking the credit card bill.

We are a bit better off now : )...But she still checks the bill at the end of the month.

It's here. As I was opening the box I held my breath, expecting the worse and i was very suprised and pleased no visable rust! Gobs of grease, a very minor crack on the cleaning rod channel that looks recent from handling. It has a minor wrist repair. I swabbed out the first two inches of the bore from the muzzle and the rifling looks good and the action moves freely. it's a keeper its dated 1887. I will get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Tom

Why not clean it up, get some ammo and shoot it? I think that's what I would do.

Dr. Hess I plan on it. I just did a quick overall check of the rifle as i was on my way out the door. IMA will let you return a rifle as long as you haven't cleaned it. I wanted to make sure the rifling looked good. I ordered a set of dies the same day I ordered the rifle. I planned to resize 24 gauge shotgun brass but everyone is sold out. I can buy 577/450 brass but it runs $129.00 per 20.

Tom

Yeah, that's a tad bit high on brass, but I bet it lasts a long time. Can't stretch the cases much with black powder. Can that be made from 45-70? Seems like I recall reading an article on making odd ball cases, and almost everything was made from 45-70. Turn the rim a little, trim the top, neck that, etc.

Yeah, that's a tad bit high on brass, but I bet it lasts a long time. Can't stretch the cases much with black powder. Can that be made from 45-70? Seems like I recall reading an article on making odd ball cases, and almost everything was made from 45-70. Turn the rim a little, trim the top, neck that, etc.

I will have to check in to 45-70 If not I may break down and get 20 of the 577/450 shells until the 24 gauge brass comes in.

Pictures are now posted.

Tom