Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Renaissance Wax On Firearms

AzRednek

If anybody ever follows either the Smith and Wesson forum or another dedicated to old S/A Colts. The members consist mainly of hard core collectors. Many would never consider shooting some of their prized pieces. There seems to be a consensus on the use of Renaissance brand wax as the ultimate preservative on wood and metal surfaces.

I recently purchased a small container on Ebay and used it on some blued steel guns I have not shot in several years that had previously been coated with either Johnson's or Aero paste wax. The Renaissance wax really does bring out a brilliant luster on metal surfaces especially. On wood in all honesty I can't say it does better than Johnson's paste wax as far as the appearance.

If what I've read on the net is true. Renaissance Wax is used by museums to preserve art work and is superior to any other type of wax. My knowledge of chemistry is slim to none. Never taking as much as high school chemistry. I'm wondering if you don't mind my colloquial phrase. What makes the stuff tick?? I always thought there were only two types of wax. Man-made and what appears in nature, for example bee's wax.

Can't come anywhere close to answering the "what makes it tick" question. Never used it. There are many different types of Natural Wax products besides Bee's Wax. Carnauba comes to mind first off. It is an extract from palm trees.