Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Misadventures While Hand Reaming A Chamber

drgoose

So I got my rented reamer from 4D rentals (extraordinarily good customer service) and I put on my Adams and Bennet 6.5x55 barrel on my nice K 98 action. Mount the action on an action holding fixture, mount the reamer on a socket extension and using some of brownells cutting oil I got down to reaming the chamber. Reamed a little, cleaned, checked with go gauge and repeat until it was about to close and then it hit me, I was putting the bolt in with the EXTRACTOR. Needles to say I took off the extractor and the bolt slammed on the go gauge and on the NO go gauge so now I have to find someone with a lathe that can shave off I guess aprox 0.010 off the barrel.

So after feeling majorly stupid I got to the swedish mauser that I am working on and took of the original barrel and replaced it with another Adams and Bennet 6.5x55 and this time reamed it without the extractor. I took it to the range and it functioned well, no markings on the case, no difficulty ejecting the cases so I gues I JUST REAMED MY FIRST BARRELL. :) :) :)

• 1 year later...

checking it with the extractor in place will work as long as you engage the extractor onto the headspace gage. I also cut one too deep once when i got over vigorous right near the end, and I do not have a lathe, so yep, had to use another barrel. I was able to sell the other one on Ebay.

I think that's a common error made by many of us. You'll have to have the shoulder set back the same as the amount you remove from the breech end. Any competent gunsmith or machinist can do the job in minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you are not alone here.

Me to!! My very first one in the early 70's. I wound up buying another barrel and giving the bad barrel and a few bucks to a friend that properly installed and reamed the new barrel. The project went bad as I used a 1950's Spanish receiver and the headspace took a nose dive after a few hundred rds.