Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Poor Accuracy Mauser. It Was The Stupid Bullets!

drgoose

So yesterday after cold bluing the Swedish Mauser I put on a different scope. It was a Bushnell banner and boresighted it.

Loaded up a bunch or rounds. I loaded 142 gr SMK , 123 gr SMK and 85 gr sierra varminters which is what I found at the local gunshop.

Went to the range this morning and after sighting the rifle at 25 yrds took the target to 100.

I fired the 142 gr first AND IT STILL SHOT LIKE A SHOTGUN

1884b371.jpg

Needless to say I was quite dissapointed but then I fired the 123 gr rounds.

It looked much more promising.

Untitled-1.jpg

9f549adf.jpg

The 85 gr look even more promising. The barrel is SOOO temperature sensitive, but I guess I will just live with it.

6458d5bc.jpg

That's decent shooting with the lighter weight bullets, and it shows that the long 142gr boat tail SMK won't stabilize in the 1in9" A&B twist at the velocity they are achieving out of that shorter barrel. Not to worry, as there are a bunch of 129-130gr and under bullet weights that will do the job, and the 123gr SMK shows good potential. There is no shame using flat base bullets either, and when talking bullets of equal weight, they are easier to stabilize in the slower twist that you have, and could possibly be more accurate.

Here's a site that allows you to purchase small sample quantities of different brands to test, without having to buy a full box.

http://www.bulletsamples.com/

Spiris

That's decent shooting with the lighter weight bullets, and it shows that the long 142gr boat tail SMK won't stabilize in the 1in9" A&B twist at the velocity they are achieving out of that shorter barrel. Not to worry, as there are a bunch of 129-130gr and under bullet weights that will do the job, and the 123gr SMK shows good potential. There is no shame using flat base bullets, and when talking bullets of equal weight, they are easier to stabilize in the slower twist that you have, and could possibly be more accurate.

Here's a site that allows you to purchase small sample quantities of different brands to test, without having to buy a full box.

http://www.bulletsamples.com/

Spiris

Thank you

I think you can tinker with the 123 gr bullets and load to get great results. I would first measure the free bore of your barrel. Seat the bullet a few .00x short of it. I would also look for a powder with a faster burn rate than your current choice. Your getting there. Good luck and keep us posted. Ralph

I have been shooting Sierra 120 grain flat base bullets out of my 6.5x55 with 47.5 grains of Reloader 19. Sierra suggests IMR 4320 as their hunting powder but fast powders in that case do not do it justice IMO. I am using a Adams and Bennet barrel as well, 21" in lenght. Have not recorded the velocity yet though.

Use my loads at your risk only, they work fine in my gun but maybe not in yours (have to add that disclaimer to protect myself, you all know how it is)

Brenden

So I tried the 85 grains and either I found a good load or I am the victim of randomness. I think I will try to develop a load around the 85 gr SMK with 45 gr of Varget. The 140 Cor-Lokt I guess could work as a hunting round.

96dc1b5c.jpg

13a5b41f.jpg

db2ced4f.jpg

1ee78a3a.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

383233a5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the 45 grn varget load looks promising. load that up again and see if it'll post that again. i have had the same frustrating dealing's while loading for my savage in .308. it wouldn't print for crap till i stumbled across a specific bullet. the 168 grn. amax bullet shoots a little tiny bug hole at 100 yards now. i also found a 180 grn interlock load that will shoot the same little bug hole about 1/2" lower. both with varget. point is... it can become overwhelming at some times, but when you find that load... it just make it all worth it in the end. good luck and keep us posted!