Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Asking For A Little Help With Finding A Stock Replacement

gitano

Gentlemen,

These aren't military firearms, but I am here to solicit you assistance in finding a replacement stock for the Model 88 Winchester described below.

Here are three new rifles I have added to my collection.

2012-08-30_11-04-14_660.jpg

The top one is a Remington Model 660; the next a Remington Model 600, and the bottom one a Winchester Model 88. As I wrote in the title, they are all chambered in .308 Winchester. :)

Here's a close-up of the Model 88 as it came out of the shipping container shipped via FedEX.

2012-08-30_06-40-07_710.jpg

2012-08-30_06-40-14_983.jpg

Made me sick to my stomach. I purchased this from Cabelas, and it WAS in pristine condition. Metal is essentially like new-in-the-box. The stock WAS almost perfect. I got it for a song, and the sons of bachelors at FedEx broke it in half. It is my heartfelt belief that FedEx breaks/destroys firearms ON PURPOSE. Let me repeat that for emphasis. I BELIEVE THAT FEDEX INTENTIONALLY BREAKS/DESTROYS FIREARMS. The reason I have this belief is: personal experience, first-hand knowledge of friends and acquaintances, and a mountain of reports on "gun" web-sites reporting broken/destroyed firearms shipped by FedEx.

I contacted Cabelas first by phone then followed up with this email:

Dear Mr. Morse,

Per our telephone conversation earlier today, I am enclosing pictures of the rifle broken in shipping. (I am of course assuming you didn’t send me a broken rifle.) I have included:

1) Two pictures of the rifle,

2) The mailing label,

3) The invoice/receipt from Cabelas, and

4) The shipping box.

I opened the box personally at the place of business of the FFL I was using for the transfer. The rifle was well-packed and the box at first glance didn’t appear to be damaged. As soon as I attempted to remove the rifle from the shipping container I knew something was wrong as it was clearly in at least two pieces and I was fairly certain that Cabela’s had not removed the butt-stock before shipping. Upon careful removal of the wrapping I saw that the stock was broken in two. Even though this break is essentially in the wrist, this particular break required some SERIOUS ‘effort’ to accomplish.

I was heart-broken when I saw this. This is a beautiful rifle in excellent condition. I purchased it to include in my collection. It’s collectable value is now ‘salvage’ at best, but I am more grieved by the destruction of such an excellent example of a Model 88 than I am about my personal loss. This is truly a shame.

Based on personal experience, the experience of others I know personally and the reports of reliable sources on the internet, this breakage is “normal” for FedEx. In fact, it is my personal belief based on the frequency of occurrence with FedEx and the rarity (NEVER) of occurrence with other shippers, that FedEx intentionally breaks/destroys firearms. It may be something that occurs whenever they x-ray boxes for “overseas” shipments to Alaska or anywhere else where FedEx is called on to x-ray the contents of a package and they find out it is a firearm. I realize this may sound “paranoid”, but I assure you that I am not “that sort” of person.

In addition to the propensity to break/destroy firearms, FedEx is extremely recalcitrant when it comes to “owning up” to the responsibility. This is inconsistent with their normal willingness to acknowledge responsibility for any other form of loss due to their action. In fact, they are very quick to rectify damage caused by them when it comes to anything OTHER THAN firearms. This is another reason I believe they break/destroy them intentionally.

As I said on the phone, I would prefer not to return this firearm to you and receive a refund. If that is necessary to get FedEx to fulfill their obligations in this matter, then so be it. However, a solution I would be perfectly happy with is replacement of the stock with one of comparable condition before this one was broken. If Cabelas can find such a stock, and I’m not in any particular hurry, I would much prefer that resolution.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter and please don’t hesitate to call at the numbers below – the cell is best – if you have any questions or want to discuss this further.

Sincerely,

Paul Skvorc

On the phone, Mr. Morse agreed to my suggested solution of finding a replacement stock. That said, I doubt that will be very easy. I would like to enlist the help of the folks here at the MFRC in finding a pre-'64 stock, (this rifle was - according to the serial number - made in 1961), for this rifle. Morse said he would check in Cabelas "inventory", but I have little hope for success there. However, if "I" find one, I may be able to get Cabelas to reimburse the cost if I purchase it.

Thanks,

Paul

Try the "Gunparts Corp'http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunpartscorp.com%2F&ei=nwdBUJ3cFo2c9QTSjIGACA&usg=AFQjCNH7b8jsWygrC2AfA88O6Y7g7iZLJQ&sig2=_ANAGv_bbiOM8JmvSjCgLQ

Try the "Gun Parts Corp" or Sarco.. both are on the net.

If any one has them they would.

karl

<div><br></div><div>Thanks Karl.

Sorry about the "yellow", unreadable text. I copied that from another site, and I can't find a way to change the color here. Anyone that can is welcome to edit it to a color that is readable.</div><div><br></div><div>Paul

<div><br></div><div>Sarco doesn't have it and Numrich is "Sold Out".</div><div><br></div><div>Paul</div><div><br></div><div>I was wrong about the date of manufacture. It was <span style="background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; ">I was wrong about the date of manufacture. It was 1956 or '57, (23,XXX) not 1961. :(</span></div><br style="color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><span style="color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">Paul</span>

</div><div><span style="color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><br></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">Very strange things happening with the formatting. I have no idea what's going on.</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><br></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(25, 25, 112); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: small; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">Paul</span></div>

I don't know WHAT is going on with the formatting! I decided just to start a new post and repeat what is garbled above.

1) Sarco doesn't have them.

2) Numrich is "Sold Out".

3) The date of manufacture is '56, NOT '61.

Thanks,

Paul

Given that the break is clean, that stock can be repaired with what will be, for all practical purposes, an invisible mend that will be stronger than the original wood. You can Google up Gunstock Repair and get the names of some folks who specialize in that type of work. I have a stock at John Garvin's shop right now: http://www.gunstockshop.com/

Clemson

I have done a few that had multiple breaks using epoxy glues.

Wood glues have failed on me.

2 things about epoxy, don't use fast set so that you have time to position the pieces, epoxy doesn't stain well so use a color close to what the stain will be.

Tips:

use the action to help align the pieces but first wax it for a release agent in case some epoxy gets on the action AND wrap the action in wax paper where possible.

If you can get some long wide elastic bands to wrap around the stock and action that works better than clamps. Otherwise just wrapping tightly with masking tape works well too.

I coat each side very lightly with the epoxy before reassembly.

Tinker

You are right, Tony! For a job that I don't care much about the final appearance, I do it myself using original Acraglas. Many of my customers just want the firearm functional -- not pretty. That is particularly true of hunting guns. If, however, I want a job where the repair is invisible, I turn to folks who do that particular task for a living.

Clemson

• 7 months later...

Wish I Could recall whom it was. In the 70's I had a cleanly broken stock in two pieces. Did my best gluing it back together, sent it off and got back a near duplicate. It wasn't cheap but I didn't spend more than an hour doing some minor fitting. I've been thinking about it for about 15-20 minutes but just can't remember who it was. Is anybody aware or know of a company that has a stock duplicating machine? If I'm remembering it correctly I called one of the biggys like Rinehart, Bishop or Fajen and they turned me on to the stock maker with the duplicating machine.

Of coarse the stock wont be original, pretty well destroying its value as a collector's item but at least you will be able to use it. I don't have the patient type personality that would enable me the ability to do any checkering. Out sourcing hand checkering done properly is simply above what my discretionary funds would allow. If you can live without it, do hand checkering your self. Final staining and finishing is pretty easy even for an impatient type like me. If you just simply want a correct and original Winchester mfd stock the search could take years. You might try running an ad in Shotgun News if you want an original. My guess is if somebody has one, sees your ad he will likely pay a small fortune.

My rifle was a Voere which is based on the Mauser 98 but what made it significantly different was the addition of a shotgun type tang safety and an elongated but narrower than a standard M98 mag assembly.

Myself a retired USPS employee. I doubt very much FedEx deliberately destroying your parcel. Assuming FedEx's processing facility is similar to USPS. The sorting and handling operations are all done under 24 hour video surveillance. The area is also surrounded with a catwalk with a series of one-way mirrors. I have witnessed USPS Inspectors appear out of what seemed like no where and put the cuffs on a thief. I saw a janitor get cuffed and later he was charged with theft for putting a quarter in his pocket he swept off the floor. It is possible how ever during periods like during the Christmas rush or UPS strike. Temporary sorting facilities are set up with out the video monitoring. To assume FedEx mgmt. is allowing or encouraging employees to destroy parcels containing firearms. Is hard to imagine with the possible felony charges one could face. There are some pretty tough fed laws on the books in regards to interstate commerce.

• 10 months later...

I didn't see this thread 2 years ago, but on reading it today, I was gonna suggest one of the gunstock makers with a 3D CAD CAM machine. Also, if the gun is a shooter and not a collector, a good gunsmith could fix that and you'd never be able to tell.

Welcome to the site, Wolfer.