Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hinged Guard Part 2/ The Latch

I like the way itlookse you've answered my poser about the release pin. I suppose I could braze the hole shut then smooth it out. would the release lever look good in brass or stainlee steel? Dave ;)

donmarkey,

Very nice machine work! Your skills are to be admired.

If I may be so bold, I would like to make an observation and suggestion. I couldn't help but notice when the floorplate is in the latched position, it is essentially in the dismount position for the standard release. This places the rear (and front) "shoulder" of the floorplate out of alignment with the contours of the mag well opening. I envision this could be compensated for by adding a bead of weld on the rear edge of the floorplate to lengthen it so it would engage the bow latch when in the standard closed position( I guess the hinge would have to be adjusted too). In lieu of that, the front of the trigger guard bow could be built up with weld prior to machining to match the Argy bow. This would move the latch closer to the floorplate and allow you to use it as-is, thus keeping everything in alignment.

Question: On a bow with the parade sling attachment hole, could that hole be utilized for a hinge pin or is it too big and too far up?

donmarkey,

Very nice machine work! Your skills are to be admired.

If I may be so bold, I would like to make an observation and suggestion. I couldn't help but notice when the floorplate is in the latched position, it is essentially in the dismount position for the standard release. This places the rear (and front) "shoulder" of the floorplate out of alignment with the contours of the mag well opening. I envision this could be compensated for by adding a bead of weld on the rear edge of the floorplate to lengthen it so it would engage the bow latch when in the standard closed position( I guess the hinge would have to be adjusted too). In lieu of that, the front of the trigger guard bow could be built up with weld prior to machining to match the Argy bow. This would move the latch closer to the floorplate and allow you to use it as-is, thus keeping everything in alignment.

Question: On a bow with the parade sling attachment hole, could that hole be utilized for a hinge pin or is it too big and too far up?

I think that hole is too far up. As for the floorplate, this is a yugo triggerguard, I wouldn't waste my time on a standard 98 when I could just use a 1909 guard. I used a standard 98 floorplate that is longer. After the pins come in and I fine tune the fit, I will reprofile the plate to match the guard. If I used a 48 plate the cost would be triple and the latch would have to extend out farther. Here's a prototype I did with a 98 guard to show what I mean. If it was for a 98 I would build up the rear as you suggested or make the latch longer as I did with the prototype.

-Don

hingefloorplate021.jpg

Here it is, just some final polishing needed, which will probably be done by the owner. I might checker the release, weld up the lock holes, and contour the bow, depending on what the owner wants. Now I can get on with some of my own projects.

-Don

hingefloorplate022.jpg

hingefloorplate023.jpg

hingefloorplate024.jpg

hi there donmarkey, i really like what you've done with the floor plate. i think i'll give that project a try if you don't mind me using your design. Dave :rolleyes::P