Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Today!

ken98k

Both shows were pretty boring. Same old venders with same old guns but with new inflated prices. 500rnd bricks of .22 going for $100

I bought 1lb of 296 and 1lb of 760 powder for $20 each. ;(

At the big Tulsa show, 22 had an "asking" price of about 100% over Walmart retail. Walmart is about 4-5 cents/round for the cheap Remington stuff. I've seen 10 cents/round at Cabela's for higher quality stuff.

22 ammo has not been available in stores here for some time. What little they get in is reserved for those customers that purchase a 22 firearm.

Walmart has it in stock in this area, but you have to be there at the right time. It comes in at least once a week, if you ask the guy at the counter, but they never know when it will arrive. I've talked with the guy in charge of stocking ammo from the DC's. He said he's shipped a pallet out, called his friends to tell them a pallet just went out and it would be sold out before his friends could even get to the store.

SGN had a side bar on the 22LR situation in the last issue. It said that 22LR was expensive and labor intensive to produce and very low margin. None of the manufacturers have ramped up production on it. Centerfire is higher margin and less expensive (relatively) to make, so all increases in production have gone to centerfire. Apparently, our #1 gun salesman of all time has been really, really effective. There are a lot of new guns and new gunowners out there, and they are buying ammo. Add in people buying anything they find just because it is there, and the shelves are empty.

I lucked out a few years ago finding a 1960's metal 1st Aid kit container full of a hodge-podge 22's at a yard sale. Think I paid five bucks for it. There was one box of 22 Long (not Long Rifle) sealed with factory tape. I could have sold it to more than cover the cost but a member of my gun club is a die hard ammo collector so I gave it to him. There were a handful of 22 mags and about 5 or 6 of the 6MM Floberts. I separated what appeared to be the std velocity for my son's 1950's Colt Woody. Out of a few hundred of what I shot so far only a few duds. I have enough left for one more outing with my grand kids.

Gossip at a recent gunshow that Ruger was belly aching and putting pressure on ammo manufactures to ramp up production of 22 RF. Ruger is claiming it is costing them sales but honestly I haven't seen a 10/22 sitting on a shelf in a long time. Likely just fictitious gossip mongering. If Obama cuts off imports of the Russian ammo 22RF especially. It will get considerably worse.

I realize there is a shortage of 22's but from all the expended 22RF brass I see at ranges and shooting spots in the desert. There must be literally tons being hoarded by shooters.

SGN had a side bar on the 22LR situation in the last issue. It said that 22LR was expensive and labor intensive to produce and very low margin. None of the manufacturers have ramped up production on it.

I read that article, and I think it also said one manufacturer is producing something like 6 million rounds per month.

I believe most of it is being bought up by either hoarders or speculators, or both. At a $100 per brick the speculators are doing well. ;(

If reselling ammo without a license were illegal, the hording would stop, supplies would stabilize and prices would normalize.

Asw long as people will pay more than retail to resellers, this problem will continue.