Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Argentine Mauser

RVH/BPG

Morning, First off I want to say Thanks for the add to this forum. I own a small 07 Gunsmithing business in GA. I hope to contribute as well as take some good knowledge from this group...

I have an Argentine Mauser in my shop. I am have an issue with the bolt. When you lift the handle and try to pull it to the rear to eject the spent shell, It will lift but it will not pull back. The only way to get it to slide back its to lightly tap it with a nylon mallet. What could be causing this?

I dug out my chamber polisher this morning. I will clean the chamber up and let you know what happens. If anyone has encountered this issue in the past. Please drop a line to let me know what you had and how you handled it.

Thanks

Randy

No I meant if you chamber and eject a round without firing. Or is it just with fired rounds?

Don

Oh!! Yes I'm catching up...Does it only do it with a round in the chamber [dry fire it maybe]

Are these Surplus, or Domestic loads??? or...reloads??

I have found that headspace is extremely overrated...how about the diameter of the fired round????

I have a 7X57 with an extremely "fat" chamber!!!

Also, many Argentines were re-chambered to fire 30-06 ammo. I tend to believe that if you fired original ammo in such a rifle you would experience catastrophic case failure. but who knows? I suggest making a chamber cast.