Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Bolt Problem (to Me)

ken98k

1. I have a stripped intermediate length, standard face bolt (has the nubs) that I’ve been saving.

2. I have a 24-47 without the bolt.

3. I have a Norwegian Kongsberg 27 5/8” target barrel.

4. Decided to build a 308.

5. I pulled the barrel from the 24-47 (easier said than done!)

6. Tried the standard face bolt in the 24-47 receiver. Works and looks fine.

7. Screwed a bolt shroud onto the bolt. Looks fine.

8. Inserted bolt with shroud into receiver. Bolt shroud contacts rear of receiver too soon and bolt will not close.

9. Tried another bolt shroud. Bolt shroud contacts rear of receiver too soon and bolt will not close.

10. Tried another complete yugo bolt in the same receiver. Works fine.

11. Lapped bolt locking lugs. Bolt will still not close with shroud in place.

It appears that I need to mill some material from the rear of the receiver bridge to prevent premature contact with the shroud. Has anyone ever run into this?

Kenny

Sounds like the problem is the bolt you're trying to use. If another Yugo bolt works and that one doesn't, that's where I'd look. I suppose you could modify the receiver to work with the extra bolt you have, but I think the better choice would be to find the right bolt. Of course, if you're trying to do this on a zero-cost basis and you don't care about modifying the receiver so that a regular bolt will not work in the future, then go for it.

It's probably a turk 03 bolt you have. Most of the time a turk intermediate bolt won't work in a yugo action. But you can use a yugo bolt in a turk action. I just tried 2 03 bolt, none would close in a 24/47 action without forcing it. I didn't try putting yugo innards in it to see if it's the bolt of the guts.

-Don

Sounds like the problem is the bolt you're trying to use. If another Yugo bolt works and that one doesn't, that's where I'd look. I suppose you could modify the receiver to work with the extra bolt you have, but I think the better choice would be to find the right bolt. Of course, if you're trying to do this on a zero-cost basis and you don't care about modifying the receiver so that a regular bolt will not work in the future, then go for it.

I'm not so much concerned about using another bolt in the future as I am creating another problem while fixing this one.

Are the nubs making contact on the bolt face? You are going to have to loose the nubs on a Yugo.

Clemson

No the nubs aren't touching anything, they are just shy of the inner torque ring, same as standard 98. (without the shroud)

The barrel I'm planning to use has a flat standard 98 breach face.

It's probably a turk 03 bolt you have. Most of the time a turk intermediate bolt won't work in a yugo action. But you can use a yugo bolt in a turk action. I just tried 2 03 bolt, none would close in a 24/47 action without forcing it. I didn't try putting yugo innards in it to see if it's the bolt of the guts.

-Don

Did you try those 2 03 bolts in an action without the barrel?

You say that the bolt goes in OK w/o the shroud... Just for grins .. I would not screw the shroud on so far.. as in if the root of the handle had somehow moved! If it then goes.. how is the relationship of the cocking piece to the sear? Now I am not advocating "building it' that way... But for now... lets see what happens! MV

Got it!

I started going through my collection removing and trying bolt shroud/sleeves.

#7 worked!

It came from a mismatched 98 standard model.

Kenny