Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Invention Of The Ford V8 Engine

FC

I finally got the video up and running. Been unable though to make time to watch it in its entirety. My high school auto shop teacher used to as he described it "soup up" and race the old Ford flat head V/8 engines in the 50's. He claimed he would remove all but the top compression ring from the pistons to reduce friction. He claimed he could out run any other flat head and would be tearing down or replacing the engine down after every race anyway. He had a relative in the junk yard business so he had nearly unlimited access to low cost engines. He told us he gave up racing after being seriously injured racing on a figure eight track. Can't remember all the details. He talked about using longer push rods and valves normally used in Ford's big trucks.

When I was in high school, my friend build a 32 Ford hot rod, using nothing that would not have been available after the 50's. Flathead V8 with 12:1 compression (down from 15:1 with the previous build), 3 2BBL carbs that all opened at once, magneto, etc. He got 3 MPG, but it was fast. He later built the car referred to as "Jay Leno's Tank Car."