Military Firearm Restoration Corner

24/47 To 308

rustvyper

I'm getting there...just working on getting all the commie knicks & scratches out now. Now waiting on my bolt from weaver77 to inlet the stock & waiting on ebay for a good deal on a white-line recoil pad which I'll need to grind to fit.

The gun itself is about ready to go to blue, just a bit more work. I think I'm at about 60% of the way...

P.S. The silver ball in the picture magically appeared when we had those tornadoes blow through last week. Anyone want one!?

post-3600-1211502195_thumb.jpg

post-3600-1211502205_thumb.jpg

Yeah - it looks good. I've used them before on a mosin nagant (see picture below). I was kind of dissapointed on the inletting on this one. I'd give it a B-. It's taken a lot of work to get it tight. There were a lot of uneven edge all away around the stock - both on the mag well & the barrel channel. I also had to sand the crap out of the barrel channel to get the f34 to fit. They inlet them for the military barrels.

That being said, the mosin stock fit like it had been made for it. minus a little sanding in the barrel channel for glass-bedding, I had to do very little.

post-3600-1211540142_thumb.jpg

That is why I never use mass produced stocks anymore. Once you reach the $150 mark you are better off using a duplicator. I use a guy now that only sells to dealers. He is awesome. His prices start at $175 Including the wood and he has a huge selection of patterns. Turnaround time is super fast unlike Boyds or Richards. And, the inletting is much better than either of the aforementioned.

And anything less than $150, well, you get what you pay for. You cannot expect nice tight inletting on a stock for $100. Too bad the old Fajen isn't still around.

True enough...which is why they are only $80's. Which is just fine with me. It's a decent walnut stock that requires (little) comparative work. One day I'll have a shop where I can turn my own blanks - or better yet - turn old friends onto my farm into cherished heirlooms, but that day isn't here yet!

loose inletting is one thing; flat-out crooked inletting is another. there is no excuse for crooked inletting.

Nope. I agree. Seen it too many times. Richards & Boyds are guilty. I do have one JRS on an M48 and it'll stay there. All but the barrel channel was pretty good actually, specially for the price I paid. However, at the time I got it they only offered a sporter channel and would not make me one with a starter channel. Consequently, the fit to the barrel was oversized ( i used a military bbl). They would not budge.

I bought a Springfield 1903 repro "C" stock from Boyds several years ago, and the inletting for the part of the buttplate that wraps around the heel of the stock was off center to the point where I had about 1/4" excess wood on one side, but would have had to grind away 1/8" of metal just to make it flush on the other!

I was trying to restore a sporterized National Match Rifle and considering what the course checkered buttplates with the trapdoor go for there was no way I would have used that stock. (Saw one on ebay go for about $200 recently! That's just the buttplate gentlemen...)

The good news was that they were happy to refund my money. Well, maybe not happy, but pleasant and hassle-free.

well, which would you prefer? a loose woman or a crooked one? :lol:

The loose ones you can always tighten up - but if they're crooked your aim will never be true...

...wait, are we still talking about guns here? :blink:

Alright, the action is blued (& soon the be waxed!). Only thing left to blue is the action screw heads & bolt-release. Per request I'm uploading several pictures. I also made a pillar for the rear action screw. The boyds hole was off-center anyway, so it really had to be done. I apparently have a lot more to remove from the barrel channel as well :angry:

I thought I was pretty close, but when I put it all together it was super tight.

Weaver77 is flying on my butter-knife bolt handles. I actually sent him another one to use on a project down the road. Big props to him for getting them done so quick. He said he'd have them in the mail tomorrow when the USPS opens back up.

Question - what do you guys use to inlet your barrel channel? I've been using a large dowel wrapped in 60 grit, but that takes a long time!

post-3600-1211823507_thumb.jpg

post-3600-1211823521_thumb.jpg

post-3600-1211823533_thumb.jpg

post-3600-1211823542_thumb.jpg

Rusty, see items #364-700-500AA et al in Brownells. They are at p.285 in the 60th.

I have them in all sizes and they are great for barrel channels and other inside curves. Easy to control and fast with clean cuts.

Brad

here is an early look at them now all you have to do is wait on the mail

weaver77

DCP_1918.jpgDCP_1917.jpgDCP_1916.jpg

Very nice work James.

Did you make the handles?

ken they are brownells mier butterknife bolt handles #573-112-100 castings and a bear to polish out

weaver77

Well the stock was def going to be the weak part of the build. As I worked on it more & more, I realized I would never be happy with the inleting job boyd had done. It was just waaaay too bad. I now wish I had sent it back to Boyds when I got it, except it came while I was in the desert & my wife just stuck it in the workshop for a few months before I actually came home to get it.

The good news is, a week ago I got a sweetheart of a deal on the exact same stock (boyds ria yugo 48) from a guy for $40. He had bought it a few years ago to do a project & had just never done it. The stock was full of cobwebs & had a little mold on it, plus it looks like he put the cosmoline covered action in it for a test fitting when he got it. So that crap had all soaked in & dried :angry:

But...it fit's like a freaking glove! I was so happy when I tried it. so now I have to re-open the barrel channel & re-cut the notch for the bold safety, as well as, bed the action & cut the bolt handle notch, but it's lowered my total project cost by $40+ dollars & is going to make the rifle looks a LOT better!

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the piece of crap I got direct from boyds. Probably destined for a truck gun? One thing boyd's is doing now, that I guess they didn't used to do, is they now pre-drill holes for the slings. But they could do away with that for all I care, & just concentrate on inletting better!

I think I'll have a finished product in 2 weeks or so.

I'm getting there...just working on getting all the commie knicks & scratches out now. Now waiting on my bolt from weaver77 to inlet the stock & waiting on ebay for a good deal on a white-line recoil pad which I'll need to grind to fit.

The gun itself is about ready to go to blue, just a bit more work. I think I'm at about 60% of the way...

P.S. The silver ball in the picture magically appeared when we had those tornadoes blow through last week. Anyone want one!?

Nice Job!! That isn't a silver ball......it's actually a pod, they're placed near humans who are going to be replaced, when it hatches you will need to find a new Planet. :ph34r:

...I now wish I had sent it back to Boyds when I got it, except it came while I was in the desert & my wife just stuck it in the workshop for a few months before I actually came home to get it.

don't beat yourself up. their customer service is an ordeal all it's own. by the time you finally got a servicable stock from them, through pure chance, the return postage would have cost you $100.

I have run the customer service gauntlet before and it is not worth it. last time I expressed how I really felt about boyd's, the mods on that board removed all the posts. and I didn't even use any profanity.

Yeah, the Boyds folks don't think too well outside the box and customer service seems a concept they are unacquainted with. Still, the one and only stock I got from the was wirth the $80 or so I spent on it at the time. Doubt I would do it again though.