Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Strange Phone Call

AzRednek

A few days ago I got a call from a blocked number from a man identifying himself as a Phoenix Detective. He asked if I would come to the station today along with the dog I've been walking around the block. He claimed he needed a picture of me and the dog to be used in a photo line-up. When I pressed him for details he said he would discuss it with me at the station. Like an idiot I agreed, showed up at 4:00 sharp only to discover I was had. It was an April Fools gag. How it failed to click in my mind that Detective Ben Hadboy couldn't be real I can only blame on getting old I guess. Several years ago it was almost like warfare in my family on April Fools Day. Anything from faith healers to a truck load of steer manure might arrive on the first. Now I'm tasked with trying to figure out who got me.

I was had good several years ago on the first returning a call to a Dr Dick Nocomb. At the time I was assisting fed employees with insurance claims. The only time I can recall ever hearing from the Dr himself and not an employee were in regards to an IRS lien or a dispute over customary and reasonable surgical fees. I was not in the right frame of mind expecting an ass chewing or hearing about the evils of the US govt price controls. Turned out I was among many that called a men's fertility clinic on April First asking for and think about it, Dr Dick Nocomb. The phone receptionist lit into me calling me a perv among many other choice phrases. An hour or so later the real Dr not the fictitious Dr Nocomb called me wanting details claiming he was going to the police. I couldn't help as the message was on my then answering machine and I never did figure out who got me. Even if I knew I wouldn't have ratted him out. I suspect at the time due to my union activities it was likely a manager I hammered in a formal grievance. The Dr and his phone receptionist especially were not even slightly amused and I had a heck of a time restraining a laugh when they followed up calling me back.

I would have been prepared had my Yahoo calendar had not crashed. About a month or so it quit sending email reminders. My brother and I had planned on sending my cousin a live turkey and a rooster but the first was forgotten about.