Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Making Hollow Points

FC

I can't find hollow points for my .38 S&W caliber, so this may work.

Dude, look at the ballistics of the old S&W round and then come to the reasonable conclusion, Why Bother? Developed in the IIRC 1870's it just doesn't have the steam to expand a hollow point bullet. This guys statement of "reasonbly soft lead bullet" makes them unsuitable in the 9mm para because shooting soft lead boolits at para velocities will just make a leaded mess of a barrel. Again working from memory the S&W travels at 700 to 750 fps. And developes less than 200 ft lbs ME. Better off leaving your boolits as heavy as possible and rely on energy and penetration to deter an intruder than a lighter HP design that won't expand anyway.

I have an old S&W hammerless lemon squeezer that I load 158 gr SWC's in. Relying on weight and large meplat to deliver available ME.

If you feel you just have to have a HP defense load get some of the 110 to 125 grain JHP's made for the 38 snubbies. But doubtfull even they will expand at S&W velocity.

JM2c