Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hinging A Floorplate

This topic came up on another site. So I decides to do a couple. Not done yet but there getting closer. It's been over 10 years since I did one, so don't be too rough on me.

-Don

The hinge

hingefloorplate001.jpg

The floorplate

hingefloorplate002.jpg

Soldered

hingefloorplate004.jpg

Laying out the guard

hingefloorplate005.jpg

First fit

hingefloorplate006.jpg

Fitted, do bad I'll have to relieve it a little

hingefloorplate007.jpg

Relieved

hingefloorplate008.jpg

Hinged

hingefloorplate009.jpg

Question, Does the release pin still work the same? I mean if you push the pin in does the floorplate drop down? I've never seen this done before ,this is why I ask! Dave

The first floorplate hinge design wasn't the greatest, so I converted it to a 1909 for practice, wish I would have welded the hole closed because it didn't turn out too bad.

hingefloorplate012.jpg

Here's the dimensions someone asked for, this design is what I used for the 2 guards. Forgive my camera pic, my scaners is down.

hingefloorplate013.jpg

Here's the 2 guards complete except for polishing and making the releases. The one with the original bow was extended to .30/06 length.

-Don

hingefloorplate011.jpg

Wow Don, you must be psychic.

I was just looking at one of mine last night trying to figure out how to duplicate it.

How did you make the square hole for the hinge? Mill then file the corners?

post-200-1170301666_thumb.jpg

Wow Don, you must be psychic.

I was just looking at one of mine last night trying to figure out how to duplicate it.

How did you make the square hole for the hinge? Mill then file the corners?

Exactly, but when I did it years ago I just used a drill and files.

-Don

and the release on the non-1909 version? i don't see how the original push button release would work without the floorplate moving backwards on a slotted hole to clear the retaining lip under the "hole"... do you see what i'm getting at? clear as mud, right? :)

and the release on the non-1909 version? i don't see how the original push button release would work without the floorplate moving backwards on a slotted hole to clear the retaining lip under the "hole"... do you see what i'm getting at? clear as mud, right? :)

They will both get levers whenever I get around to it.

-Don

levers, gotcha! i bought one recently, but midway and brownells were out... i either got it here or accuratereloading.com... the don't look terribly hard to recreate...

levers, gotcha! i bought one recently, but midway and brownells were out... i either got it here or accuratereloading.com... the don't look terribly hard to recreate...

actually I found it was easier to make one to fit the existing hole than either weld up and recontour or make and use a bushing. But it's been a long time. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to try.

-Don