Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lr Barrel Remount

cold shot

Does any one have any easy way to remount a LR barrel with iron sights and get them to line up right?

are these iron sight on a mil. barrel or a sporter barrel..mil barrels that are solder on can be heat and turned...sights that are screwed on and you don"t want to remount them...then the barrel will need to trimmed to make them come into time..then the head space set..there are people who add spacers and some just epoxy the barrel in..but these aren"t on my list of fixes.....

It's aLR M98 29" with factory sights. It's a stepped barrel

I have to assume from your question that you have tried it and they do not line up.

It's difficult to tell from your rather general question what the issues are. For example, if you're pulling an existing barrel to D&T for a scope and are going to put the same one back on it's a simple matter of making an index mark if one doesn't exist, and re-torqueing until it's lined up again.

If the sights are not lined up when it's cinched up tight, then like Sonic said you'll need to use a lathe to face off the breech end of the barrel shank and shoulder till they line up, (well beyond my capabilities) then re-set the headspace.

Or adjust the sights...

Take the screws out, heat them up and turn them.

If you want to get fancy, drill holes for the screws to go back in (but don't drill too far, and don't forget that you're changing headspace [i think everyone assumes that you've considered this]).