Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Has Anyone Seen This Safety?

spec4 e4

He said he will not ship just one, I am seeing how many it will take for him to ship some to the USA. Will keep you guys posted on any update. Let me know if you want one or what ever. They will be $31.00 plus shipping(s), From him to me and then to you.

Rob

If anybody has a trusted friend or relative that lives in Czechoslovakia possibly they might be willing to sell a lesser amount to a local. 30 is kind of a ridiculous amount. Possibly the number got flip-flopped in the translation. Another possibility, they might sell a lesser amount for a higher price and he was trying to negotiate a higher price. You might want to make a counter offer for 10 units to see if they are interested in doing business. Just speculation on my part. Possibly the Czech has or is currently negotiating somebody like Brownells, Midway or even a US custom rifle builder. As a last resort if he/she wont negotiate. Ask if they can refer you to a US supplier/importer they have or are currently doing business with. There is a possibility the Czech company has a gentleman's agreement with a USA company to be the exclusive retail seller in the USA. I ran into a similar stonewall several years ago when myself and some other board members were trying to get Voere in Austria to sell a few Mauser mag assys with hinged floor plate.

Interesting website. I discovered that Norinco makes a double stack 14rd 1911. Converted to apx $600 in US. I've been told and have read on the net the Norinco frame is preferred by many building custom race guns for competition. The Norinco frame is or at least was when they could still be imported into USA. A high grade forged steel that does not wear as fast as current investment cast frames. I bought and sold several when I had a FFL but never got one for myself.

Sounds like he wants $1000 or it's not worth his trouble. You're suddenly talking real money at that level. I mean, I'd take one or two at the $30 price point, and even risk thirty bucks dealing with a foreign company that you have basically zero recourse if anything goes wrong. But I wouldn't risk a thousand. And I wouldn't want to have to deal with 20-30 internet people bitching if it blows up either. This is why Brownells stays in business, for taking risks like this.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess and it is pure speculation is the manufacture probably has some set up, tooling and labor costs. Probably needs to produce a thousand to achieve profitability. I ran into the same problem when I was in the uniform business. For example the manufacture would not gear-up for my order of say 4 dozen size 16 shirts. They would wait until they could assemble and move 10,000 units. I quickly learned manufactures do not want to get involved with warehousing goods. They want it going out the back door nearly as fast as they could make it. As a retailer I'd have to wait or pay an additional amount to a jobber (middleman) that was willing to store and distribute as needed. It added about 25-40% to my cost going through a jobber.

With Mauser sporting conversions becoming a thing of the past. I seriously doubt there is anybody including Brownells or Midway willing to stock a thousand units. If they did take the risk as Doc Hess suggested. They would certainly make sure it was worthwhile probably charging 3-5 times their cost before risking taking a nickel on the dollar from Numrich.