Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dayton Traister Mark 2 Safety

Brenden

Good afternoon all.

I recently installed a Dayton Traister safety on the project sweed for my dad. Now don't get me wrong I like this safety, but the retaining pin (nylon) flat out sucks and I can for see this coming loose and backing out (it has started to already).

What is a better way to retain the piece while still having the clean travel of the safety?

My thoughts have been using a spring, but i'm sure you guyes have a better way.

Thanks.

Brenden

If properly installed, I don't think it can fall out but, it will get a little rattle to it if the plastic rod is cut too short.

Like the others said, get another peice and mash it into it's hole as you install the wing. It will expand afterwards and remain rattle free for many years.

It hasn't fell out yet, just seems to back out a fraction of an inch if worked alot. My cut is deep enough, may need to lightly hone top of CP or the safety itself. I didn't cut the nylon piece, its crush fit but if you take the safety out, the nylon is mashed down so much. It just doesn't seem all that great to me. I'm going to use a spring instead and see how it works. I can't stand plastic on anything like this, just looks "toyish"

Brenden

• 3 weeks later...

Or one of my side swings. :P Seriously I use a small spring instead of the nylon piece.

Don

I did a sideswing for a swede the other day and really liked it. Up until then I was convinced I would not like it. Couldn't have been more wrong, sure, its a lot more work, especially grinding down the safety flag lip but when all is said and done, there is no comparison.

its a lot more work, especially grinding down the safety flag lip but when all is said and done, there is no comparison.

I mounted mine vertically on a rotory table and milled the lip off. Worked pretty slick.

I mounted mine vertically on a rotory table and milled the lip off. Worked pretty slick.

Yeah, but ya still gotta polish teh marks out to match. I'd rather not have to do this but it's well worth the results.

Anyone got a few Swede shrouds they'd like to sell/trade?