Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Don't Want To Hear About Any Polls Or Politics

FC

Radio and TV news as well getting redundant. There are other events going on in the country and my state as well I'd like to know about.

Having moon lighted years ago for a polling firm. I have trouble believing the results. Do an unfavorable poll, the polling firm is not to likely to be contracted by the same firm in the future. Margin of error is a hoax. It should be margin of covering your ass. How could somebody poll one thousand voters and have an error rate of say 5.5%. The best example of faulty polling was the Carter/ Reagan election. Carter trailed but was still within the margin of error and all news orgs were saying to close to call. With only three possible answers, Carter, Reagan or undecided. How could there possibly be a margin of error making it to close to call in a landslide. None of the above or a few very rare write-in or protest votes at best could only make up a very small portion of one percent.

• 2 weeks later...

Boys, in 1976 the local league of women voters came to my high school and successfully registered the entire senior class to vote. It was a total surprise so nobody had a chance to discuss or even think about it before hand. We were the generation of Watergate. I remember the teachers stopping everything and having us watch the impeachment hearings on TV as a historical event. Consequently, years later when it came to picking a party affiliation when we were seniors, the vast majority checked "unaffiliated." Most of our families were hard working people, often union members and democrats. Always one to be different, I thought of two men I admired, my late grandfather and Theodore Roosevelt and I signed up (like them) as a republican. I remained a republican, even taking a very active role in state politics for years until 2010. I had become disgusted at how "the party" had become so focused on being anti-democrat, on un-seating any democrat regardless of his record, I was ready to bail. I made these feelings known to some of the hierarchy of the party in my state. It made me suspect. I wasn't ostracized, but I was clearly not thought of the same by those sweethearts of the machine. It was then that I realized the goal had changed. It was no longer about getting people elected who would best represent the constituent views, it was about "the party" gaining power. In 2011 I after 35 years as a republican, I officially changed my affiliation to "unaffiliated." Since then it's gotten progressively worse.

Sure Clinton (any of them) is everything those of us on this board fear, committed to ending gun ownership, but if they thought it would get more votes than it would lose, most republicans would be right there with them. Politics is no longer about representing the people. It's about empowering certain people and getting a lock on power. Most of his detractors as well as a lot of his supporters fail to realize Trump's greatest attraction to most isn't his promises or rhetoric, but the simple fact he's an outsider. Cruz, while preferable to Clinton if they're the only choices, might as well sleep in a ventriloquist's trunk. NOTHING he say's hasn't been screened, weighted and prepared by a band of consultants for it's appeal. Personally he may be a great guy who believes everything we do, but the fact he is willing to play that game makes him sickening to me.

Phew.... Well, a couple of you may remember me. Haven't been in here for far too many years. This isn't how I wanted to make a re-emergence but, uh. Well I guess ya hit me at the right... or wrong time. :D Since only party members can vote in the primary in my state, luckily I haven't HAD to make a decision yet. The prospect of actually voting for Trump for president is frightening to me. Right now though, voting for ANY of the likely candidates to run against him (even those we're not aware of yet) is even scarier. :unsure:

Howdy, boys! Glad some of ya are still in the game. Thinking about throwing my lot back into it to, in which case ya'll are gonna have to put up with me again. :lol: