Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Academy And The Taurus Tcp

FC

I bought another Taurus TCP .380. It's going to be a present for my daughter's 21st birthday. I went to Cabellas across the border in GA and saw that they were selling it for $179, $20 less than Academy. Of course, me being a SC resident, they said they could transfer it to a town a couple hours north of me in SC. I looked to see if Academy had a price match. Yup, and an extra 5%. To make the story short, the manager balked at Academy. He said it's a GA ad, and the price match is for local only. I said, "Keep the gun, I'm leaving." "Hold on, he said, I'm going to give it to you, but you know these places only stock a couple of guns a lot of the time." I said, "They had them in stock." I looked at the terms and conditions online, and told him that I do not see anything saying it has to be a local price. He didn't respond, of course, except to say he's glad I'm buying from Academy. I told him I've been buying from Academy since they were only in Austin, a military surplus store, since the 70s. I got the gun for $170. I'm happy about that, but still steamed. He said some thing like, "I may not be the manager on the next time, and if you say, 'That manager did thus and such, he may not do it for you.'" Again I mentioned the terms and conditions. You know, it's not good to torque off a long-term customer!

Wow, that's a good price. These days, anything that goes pop is gonna cost two bills. And a new brand name gun from a big store, that's a deal.

I want a Sig P290. I'm looking. Cabella's has them for $450 if you buy online and ship to a store.

Good for you FC. I pimp stores like that all the time. Being a retail Manager, I can tell that's how the game is played. Studies have shown that a satisfied customer will tell about 10 people of their experience. A pissed off customer will tell everyone they know, with the internet now the world.

I have even told a Manager give it to me for the price I want. Be pissed off now or you can get pissed off all over again when I complain. Your District Manager will call ream you out. You'll call me and kiss my ass to come back and buy it from you at a bigger discount. It works.

Great price on the Taurus. I bought one for my Daughter ( in pink) a few years back. It had some feeding issues out of the box. I sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it under their life time warranty.

I've read Taurus fixed the problem on later models, but honestly, I've never had a problem. Good little gun, and yeah, the price was great!

Like some have complained, it won't feed the last round. I'm going to let Academy send it in for work. Taurus should have just done a recall. When it's working right it is a far better deal than its competitors.

350 is cheap.

I used to know a class 3 dealer, decades ago. He had a full auto MAC10 (45). I'll have to say it was a total piece of shiite. You couldn't hit crap with it. Made lots of cool noise, though. Semi auto would be much better for that one.